Sunday, April 12, 2020

Cooking From A Distance

Vicky, I’m going to tell you
How to make the sauce
And before I do
I just want to let you know
That you’re not going to do it right

I’m going to tell you
Exactly how I do it
And you’re going to try your best
And then it’s not going to taste like mine
And that’s okay

You are, in many ways,
An improvement over me, your mother

You’re funnier
Smarter
Your father says you’re nicer than me
But he’s the dumbest man
I’ve ever met in my life
So what does he know?

But there is one
You are never going
To get right
And that’s my sauce

I wouldn’t even bother
Trying to teach you
How to make it
But I know it cheers you up
When you’re feeling bad
And I know you must be feeling bad
Right about now
So far from home
And by yourself
With just you
And that boyfriend I don’t approve of

You call him a husband
If you want
But just because you marry somebody
And you have a wedding
That your father paid for
Against my wishes
And you get a marriage certificate
And eight years goes by
Without a divorce
That doesn’t make somebody
Your husband

He’s an okay guy, I guess
But the first time he meets me
He doesn’t clean his plate

What’s that about?

I’m trying to stay positive
So I won’t bring it up again
Until tomorrow
When I FaceTime you

Right now we’re not doing grievances
We’re doing sauce

I don’t know how much garlic
You have there
But you’re going to need more

You’re going to think
You have enough
And you’re dead wrong
You can’t possibly have enough garlic there

So see if that guy you live with
With the wedding ring
Can go get some more
Just make sure he puts on that mask I sent him
With the pooping dog on it

I thought he’d appreciate the humor

Once you put all the garlic in
You’re going to start adding this and that
And I have no idea how much of anything
Is supposed to go in the sauce
So you’re going to have to guess
And you’re going to get it wrong
And that’s how my sauce
Is going to become your sauce

Your grandmother’s sauce
Was better than my sauce
And her mother’s sauce
Was better than her sauce
And I bet if we went back in time
To Sicily in the 1500’s
We’d find an old woman
Making a sauce so good
It would make us both give up cooking forever
And that’s why we should be grateful
There aren’t any time machines
Because at least for right now
I can say I make the best sauce
On the planet

But I know it’s not as good
As the ones I used to have
Growing up

And you’re going to feed yourself
A sauce that’ll never be as good
As the one you had growing up

And that’s what we call--

Tradition

Making a lesser sauce
Than your mother

It’s a beautiful family tradition

The important thing
Isn’t that it’s as good as mine
The important thing
Is that it’s something I can give to you
Even when we’re so far apart

And one day
When we’re back together again
I’ll teach you how to make it in person

It still won’t be as good as mine
But I can at least hug you a few times
As you’re making it
So you don’t feel as bad

Until then, we’re going to have to
Do our best

Sometimes, kid

That’s all you can do

No comments:

Post a Comment