Tuesday, April 7, 2020

It's Easier If You Don't Look Back

It’s easier
If you don’t look back

I don’t know what you’re hearing
Because my hearing went
A few years ago
But I can drive just fine

Sound never made a difference
When it comes to
Driving
Not in my experience anyway

Only distracts you
Although I do miss
Listening to Charlie Daniels
On the radio

My sight’s better than ever
Much better
Than when I could hear

If I’m anything like my Daddy
Tasting is going to go next
But then again
He was a smoker
Til he died
So maybe I’ll be fine

I told him to keep
Two cars between us
But that was just
Me trying to keep caution

I knew he wasn’t going to be able
To keep his distance

Not after all this time
Being away from you

They lay hands on you
In that place?

Pray over you?
That kind of thing?

I hate that shit

Last time I checked
Jesus don’t live
In your fingertips

Not the way
People forget
To wash their hands
These days

They give you that
Bowl cut on your head?

It’ll grow out
Don’t worry

You look like you got that hair
That grows nice and fast

Wish I had hair like that

He told me you hurt yourself
When you came out of the window
That you landed funny
Is that true?

If you hurt yourself
I have to take you to a hospital

Not right now
But sooner or later
I’d have to

Can’t have you getting sick
Or staying injured
You’d be a liability then

Right now you’re not a liability
You’re a client
But the line’s thin
And I can’t afford
To have it get
Any thinner

I already told him
That if things get dicey
I need to turn you over to him
And the two of you
Would be on your own
From that point on

No refunds either
Not after we pass the county line

That was the deal

And you can’t look back

There’s a thing that happens
When you look back at anything

You start to wonder
If you should have left

There’s no logic around it
It’s just how it goes

I’ve taken people
Away from all sorts
Of bad shit
But no matter what it was
As soon as the person looked back
They wanted to go back

Some begged me
To turn around
And then I had to
Because I’m not in the business
Of kidnapping

But if we pass the county line
Kidnapped or not
There’s no going back

So you’d be doing yourself a favor
By keeping your eyes on me
And the road ahead

No matter how scary
What’s in front of you looks
If you keep looking
That’s where you’ll want to go

Because you won’t know
You even have

A choice

No comments:

Post a Comment