Monday, April 20, 2020

The Book Club Rules

Hey you guys!

I am so excited
That we have this club
For, uh, for talking about stuff
Books
And, uh, you know
If you guys could, again,
No pressure
But, um
If you could, you know
Read the books
That we’re, uh, discussing
That would be--

That would be great

Just sending you this little, uh
Video message
To, uh, touch on that point

That, you know, your feelings
Talking about your feelings
And sharing stories about, uh
You know, things you see
On the news or whatever
Is fine, but, uh, for some people
And I’m just going to go out on a limb here
And say--Me
For me
It can be a little much sometimes
Which is why we were reading
You know
Light fiction and stuff that, uh
That wouldn’t, uh, you know
Drag us down too much, you know

So, yeah, please
Read the book

Or even watch the movie
The book is based on?

I know some of you
Are having a hard time
Concentrating
Right now
And I get that, believe me
But, uh, there’s really no point
To a book club
If nobody reads the book
So please, you know, do that

Also, in terms of dress code
Obviously
That’s--yeah, you know
That’s loose these days
The idea of--Yeah

But, um, I would ask
That when you, uh
Sign into the book club meeting
That you, uh, you know
Wear a shirt

And pants

I mean, I guess you could get away with--

But definitely a shirt
A shirt is, uh, yeah,
I really think we need to--

Obviously we don’t want to set
Too many rules
Since this is supposed to be fun
But I do think certain things
Like wearing shirts
And not signing into the meeting
From your bathroom is, uh
I think it’s important
That we make that a ground rule

And I don’t want Joe to feel singled out here
We love you buddy
But, uh, I don’t know, man
Watching you cry in the shower
While the rest of us were trying
To talk about East of Eden
Was pretty difficult

And, uh, just a reminder
That you’re totally allowed
To skip a meeting
If you’re having a bad day
Or skip two meetings even

We want to make sure
To check in with each other
But, uh, Dan--again
Don’t want to single anybody out
But if you’re in the middle
Of fighting with your wife
I’m not sure you should still try
To log in while still carrying on
With the, uh--

Although I should say
That I think Kate has a point
And you should probably
Shower at some point, Dan

Love you, buddy, but, uh--

Oh!  And finally--

Please be sure to take a look
At what’s going on behind you
When you fire up those laptops, okay?

Bill, that painting of you
In your living room is, uh--

I mean, I love seeing
A naked man on top of a leopard
As much as the next guy, Bill
But my kid walked in the room
Right when we started the meeting
And he and I had to have a long, long talk
That night
And I just wasn’t in the right, uh
Frame of mind to, uh
Yeah

So, yeah, you know
I love you guys
And I’m so glad
We’re doing this
So we can keep in touch
Just, uh, you know
I think we need
Some new ground rules
For our new, uh, you know
Reality

And, uh, lastly
I think once this is all over
We should probably
Never talk about any of the stuff
We’re finding out about each other

Like, you know, ever, just, uh--

Just treat this like one big, uh
Las Vegas kind of time, right?

Right

Cool

So I’ll see you Tuesday
For the next meeting, and, uh--

Remember--

Read the book!

...And pants

Don’t forget your pants

No comments:

Post a Comment