Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Zoom

You know what I’m all set with?

I keep getting invited
To these ‘Zoom parties’

Okay, sounds fun
I’m game

Then I get there

To the...Zoom party

And what is it?

Twelve people
All staring at each other
And wondering
Who’s going to talk first

And if you talk first
Everybody looks at you

And when you’re done talking
Somebody else is supposed to talk

And then as time goes on
Somebody becomes, like,
The host of the party

That’s fine

Parties have hosts
I get it

But the host of THIS party
Only has one job
And that job
Is to make sure
Everybody talks
About everything

You can’t just sit there
In your little square
Listening to other people

You have to participate
In the party

You know why I go to parties?

I’ll give you a hint
It’s not to participate
In anything

I like to sit in the corner of the room
Look at my phone
And wait for somebody
To get mad at somebody else
Or get drunk and act stupid

This ain’t that

This is like being on CNN
And it’s election night
And everybody’s gotta say
How they think Ohio
Is going to vote

It is STRESSFUL

And you can’t leave

You can’t leave the Zoom

No sneaking out
No Irish goodbye
Nothing

If you want to leave the Zoom
You have to lie
And say you have another Zoom
When really
After you do one Zoom
The last thing you want to do
Is ANOTHER Zoom

Every time somebody asks me
To come to one of these things
I want to lie and say I can’t
But everybody knows
That none of us are doing anything right now
So, yeah, sure
I’ll go to your honey bee extinction
Discussion group

Why not?

This situation has me really worked up

Do you know what my favorite thing
In the world to do is?

Flake

I love it

I love to flake

And now I can’t flake

How would I flake?

Say something came up?

Where?

Where did something come up?

In one of the three rooms
In my apartment?

Did something come up
In the kitchen?

Everybody knows you’re full of it

And another thing
Now that you can’t flake
Everybody knows
Who the flakes are

We’ve been called out
By the virus

Because I’m not going to stop
Blowing people off

So I just have to own it

I just have to say--

Yup, that’s me
I’m a flake
And I don’t want
To be at this Zoom party
Because it reminds me of Chatroulette
And we got rid of that
Because it was laaaame

That’s how I feel about it

...And now I don’t know what to say

But I can’t leave

I gotta wait to hear
What everybody else
Has to say yet

How many of you are in this chat with me?

Sixteen people?

Great

Maybe by the time
Everybody’s done
This whole pandemic
Will be over

I can’t wait
To sneak out the back again

I miss it

I really miss it

No comments:

Post a Comment