Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dear Dr. Jones

Dear Dr. Jones,

I hope you are well

I heard about the thing
With the Nazis

They suck, right?

Anyway

I’m writing to you
Because I was wondering
If I could have more time
To finish my paper
On the dig site scandal
Of 1894

I know you’re probably getting this letter
While riding on the back of a truck
Being pursued by armed thugs
But I just need you to understand
That I am also going through
Quite a bit in my life right now

I recently had to leave Yale
Unexpectedly
Because Grandpapa decided
To let go
Of his long-term maid
Who was something like an aunt
To all of us

Aunt...Maid...Person was very near and dear to us
And as Father always liked to remark
Nobody could shine a floor like her

The family had to have
An emergency meeting
To decide whether we needed to hire
One or two maids to replace her
Since they don’t make maids
Like that anymore

Heaven forbid you ask anyone
To work more than seventy hours a week

Suddenly they’re making demands
Like livable wages
And access to doctors
For that spot on their back
That’s probably just dirt
Since, you know, servants aren’t known
For their cleanliness

So we thought about hiring two maids
But that would eat into the inheritance
And while none of us like talking about money
It seemed a waste to use Grandpapa’s sizable fortune
On cleaning floors

Dr. Jones, I know right now
You’re probably stealing an artifact
From an ancient temple
Running like the dickens
From a giant orb
That’s an inch away
From crushing your bones to dust
But you have to understand how trying
The past week has been for me

Setting aside the melodrama with the maid
My tennis coach has decided
That now is a good time
To give up coaching and turn pro

Personally, I don’t care
I loathe tennis
And I look positively ghoulish
In white shorts
But now I have nothing to do
Tuesdays at eleven
And I hate having my week disrupted

Now I have to find a new hobby
Otherwise I’ll just be sitting around
Every Tuesday afternoon
With nothing to do other than schoolwork
And while I would love nothing more
Than to spend an hour of my time
Writing one of your little papers
Tuesday mornings are for recreation
The same way Thursday afternoons
Are for extravagant naps

Rather than do the paper I owe you
I had to spend hours of my time
Choosing between water polo
And acquiring stolen art

I ended up moving my extravagant nap
To Tuesday and found another tennis coach for Thursday
But I refuse to wear white shorts
But this coach doesn’t care
Because she’s blind
So she has no idea what I’m wearing
And truthfully I don’t even bother playing
I just throw the balls up and down the court
Until the time runs out

Dr. Jones, I know you didn’t return
My last few letters
Requesting extensions on my paper
Probably because you’re trapped in a sewer
With your father
Covered in rats
And facing down death
But I am riddled with stress

Please let me know
At your earliest convenience
Whether I can have a few additional weeks
To finish the paper
And if there’s any opportunity for extra credit
I’d love to take you up on that

Best wishes on your various adventures

Now, if you’ll excuse me
I need to get to my tennis lesson

It’s very important to stay
On top of your commitments

But I’m sure

You already know that

No comments:

Post a Comment