Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Theology Professor

When I was a student
Like all of you are now
I was finishing up my advanced degree
In theology
At another school
That is not as good as this one is
But, uh, is still--very reputable

My professor asked me
If I’d like to take part
In a, uh, I guess you could say
An experiment?

That he said ancient monks
Used to have to, uh, endure
As part of their--their training

I said, ‘Okay’

When you’re, you know,
When you’re in your twenties
You say ‘Yes’ to things
And you spend the next twenty years
Wondering if that was the right call

But, um, so I say ‘Sure’

He says ‘Okay’

There were--

I think there five other people
In that program with me
At that point
Because, um, believe it or not
More people drop out of theology programs
Than med school

It’s this strange--

You all probably
Understand why
But to the outsider
It might seem odd

We were down to five students
In my program

Four of us said
We would do the ancient monk experiment
Even though
Whether we did it or not
Wasn’t going to affect our place
In the program

But we loved our professor
This old, steamship Dr. Dubium
Who, um, was like a cross
Between Tolkien and John Houseman
From The Paper Chase

He couldn’t stand any of his students
And that made us really, really want to please him
So we said--

‘Okay, Dr. D, what do you got?’

He gave us a place
And a time
And told us to be there
And not tell anyone
Where we were going
Or what we were doing

I was a little, uh, whatever
But I did as I was told

Sunday morning, 8am
We all carpool together
And we drive to this--

This building
At the edge of campus
Abandoned
Used to be the Psych building
Boarded up
For the most part
Except you could still go in
The front door
And into some of the classrooms

Okay

Dr. Dubium lines us up
And one by one
He leads us into the building

I was the first one
To go in

Barely any light
A rat or two running around
But that was the only noise
And, uh, he took us--

Well, he took me
I don’t know where the others, uh--

He took me
Down one flight of stairs
Then down a few corridors
And into this room
With no windows
Big heavy door
No idea what they would
Have used it for back then
But, uh, he took me in there

And he said--

‘You’re going in this room
And you’re going in alone
And you’re going to stay in here
Until it’s time to come out’

I didn’t say anything
I didn’t know what to say

The doctor closes the door

And I don’t hear it lock
But…

I don’t check
To see if it is or not
Because, um, it doesn’t matter, right?

He said I’m staying in the room
So I’m staying in the room
Until it’s time to come out

What does that mean?

No idea

Didn’t ask
Wasn’t going to ask

I assumed it meant
That he would come get me
After, uh, you know, a long time
To, uh, teach me
How to be alone
With my thoughts
Or something like that

To meditate
On existence
Something lofty probably, right?

By the way, none of you
Have to write this down
I’m just talking

This wasn’t what
I was going to talk about today
But just, uh, just listen

So I’m in this room
All by myself

There’s a chair
That’s about it

I sit in the chair

I get up
I sit back down

I have no idea
How much time has gone by

I didn’t wear a watch back then
Now I do

I do because of being in that room

That’s the truth

I start to do what you do
When you’re somewhere
And you don’t know
How long you’re going to be there

I count the seconds
Then I count the minutes

Try to figure out
When an hour’s gone by
When two hours have gone by
Three

I pace
I walk every inch of that room
I start listing off
Things in the room

I talk
I talk to myself
I talk to my mom
Or I try to talk to my mom
But she’s not answering

I had lost her that winter

I, uh...

I tell her where I am
I tell her what I’m up to
How I’m still in the program
Even though she hated religion
And told me
I was studying fairy tales
And harassed me about it
In between coughing up blood
On her deathbed

And maybe she was right, right?
I mean, here I am
In this empty room
Trying to talk to ghosts
And it’s my theology professor
Who put me there

I start thinking about
The other students
In the program
Where they are in the building

Can they hear me?

Should I call out to them?

Is that cheating?

Is Dr. D still hanging around
Somewhere
Making sure we follow the rules?

But there wasn’t a rule
About calling out, right?

So why did it feel wrong to do it?
To even think about it?

I didn’t call out

I sat in that room
And I thought about my brother
Who I hadn’t spoken to
Since the funeral
Because he wasn’t there
When my Mom died
And I couldn’t forgive him for it
Even as I sat day after day
Studying all these texts
And all this ideology
On forgiveness
And forgiving

I couldn’t forgive him

I thought--

Maybe I’ll sit in here
And I’ll count the minutes
And after so many minutes
I’ll forgive my brother

Didn’t happen

Maybe I’ll be in here for ten days
And at the end of the ten days
I’ll stop thinking about my mother

Nope

Didn’t happen

I thought--

Nobody knows I’m here
What if I’m in danger?

What if the Professor
Had lost his mind
And this was his way
Of getting rid of all of us?

Who would know?

We were a bunch of college kids
College kids go missing all the time

If you want to write that down
You can

Never agree to go somewhere
And not tell anyone
Where you’re going

Even if I tell you to

Don’t do everything
The person in charge
Tells you to do

That’s your life lesson
Of the day

Don’t just say ‘Yes’

Because sometimes you wind up 
In a room

You wind up in a room
And nobody knows you’re there
And you don’t know how to get out

I started hearing my brother’s voice
And at first
It sounded like all the messages
He would leave me on my answering machine
That grainy, static-y sound

Then it was like
He was on the other side
Of the door

Then right next to me
Sitting in that chair
Asking for money
Telling me to go to hell
Saying he was sorry
That he wasn’t there
When I buried our mother

Telling me I should leave the room

I said, ‘I want to talk to Mom’
But nothing

Just him
Just my brother

And then nothing

The minutes go by
And they start to expand

So you think you’re counting to sixty
And getting somewhere
But really
You wind up holding
All this time in your chest
That you can’t expel
That you can’t get out

It lands in you
And you live there with it
And it’s so goddamn weighted
You feel like you’re going to go
Right through the floor
Which would be fine
Because at least
It would get you
Out of that room

The walls started to multiply
But the room didn’t get
Any bigger

The surfaces went opaque
I felt locked in to this rigid stance
The chair felt like
It was on the other side of the world
The door was gone
My clothes were gone
I started watching parts of me

...Disappear

My legs
My hands
The spot at the center of me
Where I felt like
I could center myself
Using techniques I’d learned
To calm down
When I started having panic attacks
After the funeral

I was unmoored
Truly

I started feeling days
I started feeling something more than days
But more than that
More than--

How we measure time

I started to lose it
That sense of time
And how it passes

And I realized

It wasn’t isolation
Or loneliness
Or boredom
That was disabling me
This way

It was grief

I had--I had gone
Right from losing my mother
And, you know, in a very real way
My brother
In such a short amount of time
My whole family
That, um, I had…

Sorry

I’m sorry

I had gone right from that
Into the next thing
And then the next
And then the next, and, uh--

I didn’t leave any room
For grief

I didn’t want to
And, uh--

I knew what would happen--

I didn’t know
That locking myself in a room
Would bring it out
But I knew that
If I didn’t keep myself occupied
The first thing
That would drop down into me
Into that center
Where I was--

Where I am
Bound to myself
Would be
Grief

Because it asserts itself, right?

We know that

...Or maybe you don’t, but…

I was not unique
I am not unique
We are all--

We all live
With grief
And--

The challenge
I think
Of being who we are
As people
In this life
Is to find a way
To appreciate
And not fear
Grief

That grief had been ignored
For so long
At that point
That it had manifested
It had, uh, morphed
Into this liquid
That was pouring down the walls
Coming at me
Like a great flood
Pouring into the room

But then I saw a break in it
An opening
And, uh, I remember
Feeling--knowing--

That in that opening
Was my brother
And what was left
Of my connection
To him

And I knew
That there was no surviving
This grief
Without, um, reaching out
To him

With--maybe not with forgiveness
But, um, with--

A movement
In the direction
Of something
That could one day
Lead
To forgiveness

I remember reaching out
And then

I remember falling asleep

And, when I woke up,
Still in that room
I heard a voice
On the other side
Of the door

I don’t know
Whose voice it was

It wasn’t my brother’s voice
It wasn’t the voice of Dr. Dubium
Or someone else in the program
Or, uh, or my mother

And I don’t think it was god
Because, as you know, uh,
I have a reputation
In this department
For being the theology professor
Who doesn’t believe in god
But, uh--

I heard a voice

I’ll leave it at that

And the voice said--

‘Come out’

So I got up
I noticed
That the room
Looked like
A room again

The walls were walls
The floor was a floor
I was myself
In a way that I hadn’t been
Previous to that

I opened the door
It wasn’t locked
It had never been locked

I went down the corridors
I want up the stairs
I made it to the front door
I walked outside
It was dark

I didn’t know
How long I’d been in there

I still don’t

Because, uh, the car was gone
The car we took
Me and the others--

They had, apparently, gotten scared
And left

I don’t begrudge them for it
They didn’t want to interfere
With whatever it was
That was happening with me
And they probably wouldn’t have found me
Even if they had wanted to

Later they told me
They would have come back for me
But whether or not that was true
Doesn’t really matter

I walked back to the apartment I had
In student housing
A mile or so away

I heard the grasshoppers
On my walk home

I smelled the air
Coming off the pond
Near the road

I felt the early evening warmth
That meant graduation
Was right around the corner

And when I got home
I slept for a long, long time

We never had another class
With Dr. Dubium

He passed away
The night he left us all there
Heart attack
In his sleep

We never got to ask him
What the point of that experiment was

And when we looked through his books
To find stories of the ancient monks
We couldn’t find any proof
That they ever had done anything like it
Or that he’d done it
With any other students
Before us

Because we were so close
To the end of the semester
All other obstacles in the way
Of our completing the program
Were removed
And we did

We finished
We got our degree

But we never spoke
About our time
In those rooms

I’ve never spoken about it
To any class
To anybody at all
Until now

My brother didn’t come
To my graduation
But that summer
He came to live with me
For a few months
Because he had gotten himself
Into some really bad trouble
And, uh, well

We started out
On the long road
To reconciliation
And we’re still on that road today
But, uh, we are...on it

And I’m grateful for that

I still talk to my mother every day
Except now I don’t need her
To talk back to me
Because I know what she’d say
And that’s enough for me

They want me
To give you all
An exam
In theology

But I’m not going to do that

Because it occurs to me
That right now
You might be in a room yourself

Although your room
Might seem to have windows
And doors
And other people in it
With you

That’s fine

But I’m going to say to you
What my professor said to me
And I hope you hear it
Even though I couldn’t hear him
When he said it

‘You’re going to stay in here
Until it’s time to come out’

That sounds like a demand
Doesn’t it?

It sounds like an instruction

Sometimes an education
Teaches you
To hear things
In a different way

Like a voice
Like guidance
Like a grasshopper
On a spring night
On a long walk home

I won’t be giving you
Any more tests
Or lecturing
After today

All I’m going to ask
Is that you to sit in the room
You’re in
Until it’s time to come out

Rarely do we get the chance
To be anywhere quietly
And listen
To the things
We’ve been trying
Not to hear

I think you should take that time
I really do

But I want you to know
That while it’s true
That when you leave
Is up to you

There are others in your position
Not very far from you at all
Despite you thinking that they are

Call out
Call out to them
Even if you think they can’t hear you
It’s enough to even let them know
You’re there

But leaving is still up to you

I would be remiss in suggesting
That there’s a resolution
On the other side of that door

But please know that when you leave
It won’t be the end
Of the despair you’re feeling
Or the rage
Or the grief

But it is a step
Outside
The room

No comments:

Post a Comment