Monday, April 6, 2020

The Wolverine Vote

I’m just not sure
What he’s going to do
For me, you know?

I don’t hear him saying
Anything about mutants

There was one question
About mutants
At the last debate
And I just felt like--

That’s it?
That’s all we get?

And we were all lumped in
It was like ‘mutants’
And I’m sitting here, like--

Excuse me
I am not like every other mutant
All mutants are not the same
I have claws

Not every mutant has claws
Some do
But some are born with claws
Mine were surgically implanted
There’s a big difference there

I think they just expect us
To vote for whoever
Like, seems less antagonistic
Towards mutants
Like we have to choose
The lesser of two evils
And I’m just getting really sick of that

Like, I get that one
Wants to put us in camps
And systematically
Exterminate us

And the other
Just doesn’t seem
To like us very much

But in my eyes
They’re kind of
The same

I want someone
Who understands
What it means
To control the weather
Or move things with your mind
Or have blue skin
And move through walls

We talk about climate change
But we don’t talk about
The people in our society
Who can actually make the climate change
Whenever they get angry
And how people are afraid of them
And how it’s not fair
Because it’s not always a question of, like,
Controlling whether we can do
What we do

Like, I don’t always want to get mad
And shred a 2007 Toyota Camry
Into itty bitty pieces
But sometimes it just happens
And I don’t think people
Should make judgments about me
Because of that

It doesn’t make me dangerous

I mean, to cars yes
But not to people

Not to good people
Not to people who are just--

You know, not near me
When I’m pissed off

Also what are these guys going to do
About my sideburns?

Shouldn’t they have some thoughts
On that?

It’s like I’m not even a thought
In their mind

Are there thousands
Or even hundreds
Of people like me?

Maybe--okay, no

No, there are not

But I’m still here
I’m still sort of a person
I’m still deserving
Of protection
And consideration

I’m still terrified
Of really strong magnets
Because I’m worried
I’ll get stuck to them

So maybe I’ll just stay home
When the times comes to vote
Unless one of these guys--

--Probably the one
Who seems ambivalent
Not the one who talks all the time
About wanting me dead--

--Shows me that he cares

That he really cares

Otherwise I don’t know
Why I’d vote at all

I just don’t see

The point

No comments:

Post a Comment