Monday, April 13, 2020

Work from Home

Hi Everyone!

I hope you’re all doing well
Working from home
And working hard, right?

Just kidding, just kidding

We don’t want you to stress out
About work

But we do want to remind you
That we now have three deadlines to meet
Within the next seventy-two hours
So please keep those worker hats on
But remember to take them off
When you need to
After the seventy-two hour period
Has lapsed

Thank you so much
From me
And from the rest of your family here
At G&B Tech and Innovation

Because we do believe
That this company is a family
And like biological family
We also require that you love us unconditionally
And support us until you’re emotionally bankrupt

Just kidding!
Just kidding

Gotta keep it light, right?
Gotta keep that humor going

So--I just wanted to address
An issue I know
Some of you might have
When we reach the glorious end
Of this nasty little tunnel we’re in

And that’s working from home

I know some of you
Are probably thinking--

Wow, I pretty much did
My entire job from home

Can’t I just keep
Working remotely?

And the answer to that
Is a big ole ‘No’
From your family here
At G&B

Just pretend I’m your Dad
And you’re saying--

Dad, can I skip school
And just take all my tests
Out in the backyard
Sitting by the pool
Enjoying myself?

Dad’s gotta say ‘No’
Doesn’t he?

He might not want to

In fact, Dad might want
To work from home himself
But he can’t
And neither can you
Even though it seems like
You can

And the reason for that is
Our granddads--

And grandmoms!
Not trying to be, uh
Not trying to have--
Wanna be inclusive here

But anyway
Our grandparents
At the top of the G&B ladder--

They worked their whole lives
Coming into an office
Having meetings
Sitting at their desks
Working away for hours at a time
Alienating their spouses
Never seeing their kids
Watching their health deteriorate
And they did all that
So that one day
We would all do
Exactly
The same thing

The fact is that no matter
What all those studies say
The anecdotal belief
Is that remote work
Is just not as good
As the work you folks can do
When you’re chained to ole desk
Right here at your favorite watering hole
At G&B headquarters

And admit it--you miss it, don’t you?

Coming in
And seeing your co-workers
Getting those check-ins
From your manager
Every fifteen minutes
Or ten minutes
If your guy--or gal!--is a real
Pain in the you-know-what

The five-hour Friday meetings
Where we go around
And talk about how each department
Is under-performing

Free Donut Tuesdays!

Who doesn’t miss those?

None of that stuff
Can happen from home
And that’s why
Even though everything
Seems to be going smoothly
While you’re all working
From the apartments
You can barely afford
Because we don’t pay you enough--

Another little joke there!

But that reminds me
We need to talk
About pay cuts later, uh--

--Anyway, we can’t wait
Until you’re all back here again

I gotta tell you
Old Mr. G has been screaming at me
Every day on the phone
About how he doesn’t understand
Why he has to keep paying
His lazy employees
To sit around at home
And upload an email once a day

Hahaha he’s pretty senile, I have to say

But he’s got a point

We’re all better off
When we’re all together

...Except for right now

But once right now
Is right back there in the past
We expect to see you
Back with your family
At G&B for sixty-to-eighty hours a week

I know, I know

I can’t wait

Either

No comments:

Post a Comment