Thursday, April 9, 2020

Highway Patrolman

I didn’t think
I was gonna let him go
Until the last leg


Then I started speeding up
But I knew--


I knew I wasn’t
Speeding up
To catch him


It was to get a last look at him
Before he went over the border


Part of me thought about
What I would do
If he stopped
Got out of the car
And just stood there


Just stood there
In front of my car
Daring me to run him down
Or get out and shoot him
Or…


I thought he might want to
Give me a choice, for once


About how things
Were going to go down
Between the two of us


People talk about
Going over
Like it’s the easiest thing
In the world


But you still have to wake up
In the morning
Knowing you have to make
A whole new life for yourself


And you can’t ask for help
And you can’t…


For the first time
You can’t call your brother
And get him
To bail you out
Like he always does


You ever think
When Cain killed Abel
He knew something
God didn’t?


I know how my story
Looks as a story
But it sure looks
A lot different
As a life


As the guy living it
I know who the villain is
And it’s not Franky


Because there’s no greater sin
Than letting down
Somebody you love


We’re all given things
Too heavy
For us to carry
And it’s our job
To carry them
Until we drop with them


That’s what I should have done


Gone with him
Over the border


Helped him start again


I’m no brother
Just because I let him go


A brother would have gone
Even further with him


Would have done more
Than just let go


But I thought about you
And how I’d be
Without you


Franky’s Franky
Because he took a turn
Away from you


Not his choice
But that’s how it happened
And he never got
His head on straight
After that


Losing you
Losing you to me
Losing me with you


It’s all the same damn thing
When you’re half-drunk
And some idiot makes a comment
You don’t like


I’m the good brother
Because I got a good job
And a good woman
And a good life
That I put together
While my brother
Was giving up things for his country
He was never going
To get back


And nobody knows
How much bad I have
In my heart


Nobody knows
Just how bad

I really am

No comments:

Post a Comment