Wednesday, April 15, 2020

State Trooper

If I drive slower
Will that make you
Pull me over?

What’s the speed
What’s the speed
I need
To be at
To not arouse
Suspicion?

Am I gripping
The wheel
Too tight?

Is my lip shaking?
Can you see my lip shaking?

I want to see
New York City

I want to see
A skyline
Then I’ll know
That I’m all right

But until then
If I see you, state trooper
I’m not sure
Whether
I should slow down
Or speed up
Or pull over
And let you
Have at it

Like a dead deer
With the vultures on it
Have at it, have at it

I left the windows up
But it’s hot as fuck
And the radio don’t work
And neither does the A/C

It’s too warm
For this time of year
And the backseat
Smells like dried up blood

I swallow hard
And almost sputter
On my own spit

Every time a car
Comes up behind me
I let ‘em pass
And if they don’t
I honk my horn
Like a maniac
And wave them forward
Like I got a pregnant lady
In the passenger seat
Ready to bust

Go easy on me, okay?

I don’t do this
All the time

I swear I’m not the bad type
I’m a good guy
I’m an upstanding guy
And every time I try
To take a break
At the roadside reststop
My nerves kick up
And I end up just pissing
In a jar in the car instead

All I want to see is New York
With the busy streets
And the bad news
Where a man can go by
Five different officers
With nobody batting an eye
Because he’s just one more madman
In a city full of ‘em

I can’t get lost in Jersey
The way I want to
But I feel like I got a pass
Provided I use it
In the next two hours
And that means
My ass
Needs to fly

Do we have an agreement, state trooper?

If I promise to get out
And stay out
Do you promise
To let me?

I don’t want to kill
Another man tonight
Especially not a man
Of the law

My father was a man
Of the law
And a man of god
And he used to beat me so bad
My eyes wouldn’t open
And my lip started quivering
And never stopped

But that didn’t make me
Hate men like you

I just want to do
The right thing
But first
I gotta run

If you see me going by
Just let me go

I’ll keep the windows
Rolled up

I’ll keep my eyes
On the road

Just let me go, please

I’ll take it slow

I’ll take it so slow
I’ll never get
Where I’m going

But as long as you let me
Stay driving
That’s okay
By me

I just don’t want
To go back

I’ll go anywhere

But back

No comments:

Post a Comment