Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Blender

Dear Mr. Alton
Of Alton Appliances

I am reach out to you
About a blender I received
Last month

Your website says
That in the interest of innovation
You’d like people to submit
Video testimonials
Saying how much they like
Your products

Seeing as how you’re willing
To let people gush on video
About what you do
I think it’s only fair
That you play a video or two
Detailing some of the flaws
Products like the blender you sent me
Might have

Namely--that it doesn’t blend

Now, don’t get me wrong
It does other things

It crushes
It grinds
It grates
It frappes

But it does not
Blend

I know what you’re going to say

You’re going to say--

‘Mr. Tyler--’

Yes, you can call me
Mr. Tyler

‘Mr. Tyler, grinding
And grating
And crushing
Are all versions
Of blending’

Well, Mr. Alton
Of Alton Appliances
I got to tell you
I am not interested
In versions of a thing

I would like the thing
And the thing only

I didn’t order a crusher
I didn’t order a grater
I ordered a blender

A simple blender
That can make me
The smoothies
My wife says I need to drink
Because my doctor is a quack
Who says I can’t have bacon and eggs
For breakfast anymore

A man has four heart attacks
And all of a sudden
He’s got to change his diet

I never heard of such a thing

My father ate nothing but chicken-fried steak
For every meal
Every day of his life

Chicken-fried steak for dinner
Every day for thirty-two years
And when he died
They buried him with two sticks of butter
Because that’s what he loved the most

Me?

I have to drink smoothies
With fruit in it
I’ve never even heard of

Papayas
Plantains
Something called a mango

That’s communist fruit
That’s what that is

But when you’re my age
You do what your wife tells you, Mr. Alton

Are you married?

If you are
Then you know
What I’m talking about

Because I have to drink
All these damn smoothies
I got myself a new blender
From your company
Only to find out
It doesn’t blend

I am not one of those men
Who is scared of change

I am willing to give up
The food I like

I am willing to give up golf
And poker games with my friends
And going to the post office
Every day
Right when it opens
So I can complain about how much
A book of stamps costs now

I’m willing to stay home
If that’s what people
Want me to do

But I’ll be damned
If I order a blender
That doesn’t even have the word ‘blend’ on it
Without speaking up

Some things
Have to be consistent
In this world, Mr. Alton

You gotta be able
To count on something
And I’m counting on you
To send me a blender
That blends

That’s all I want

I know you’re doing your best
Just like the rest of us are
But I would appreciate it
If you could deliver
What I’m looking for

And until you do
I’m going to have to keep eating
My eggs and bacon

So, by all means--

Take your time

No comments:

Post a Comment