Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Used Cars

When you’re poor
You gotta decide
Where to put
Your shame

I put mine
In the car we drove

I could live with
Bad clothes
Tattered rags
Hand-me-downs

Nobody I knew had clothes
That were all that nice

But a few of my friends
Had dads
Who spent all their money
On a nice car

Because with a nice car
You can pretend
Everything else
Is going fine

A car and a house
Are what people see

Nobody’s house
Was any better
Than anybody else’s

But when we would
Drive down the street
In that shabby piece of junk
My dad bartered for
With the guy at the used car lot
I felt like we were airing
Our dirtiest laundry
To all our neighbors

My father would bark at me
To stop looking so sad

That families who spent their money
On a car were fools

Even nice families
Even the ones with money

A car is a bad investment

That’s what he would say
As our engine
Got louder and louder
But never louder than it was
On the first day of school
When he’d drop me off
And all the kids
Would point at me
And crack jokes

My dad took the money
He could have been spending
On a nicer car
And put it in a savings account
That got wiped out
When he lost his job
Halfway through
My junior year

He thought he was going to
Send us to college
On that money

My dad had a lot of plans
That never panned out

Hard to blame him for that
But not impossible

He moved in with me last year
When the nursing home called
Because his money ran out

That’s my whole relationship
To money

Watching it run away
From me

From my dad
From my whole damn family

Now he lives in my basement
And comes up once a night
To watch tv with me
And ask how I am

I tell him I’m okay
And he believes me
Because optimism
Is still better-looking
Than reality

I drive a nice car now though

Worked my ass off
To get it
And keep it
In some kind
Of decent shape

I wear the same jeans
Every day
And I only own
One pair of shoes

I need a new boiler
And new pipes
And I need to see a doctor
About this cough
That won’t go away

But fuck if I’m not driving
A brand new car

You gotta put your shame
Somewhere

I figured a new car
Was as good a place

As any

No comments:

Post a Comment