Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Emperor and I

-- I plan on working on a full-length piece involving the Madame in February.  Her relationship with Napoleon is one of the funniest and most unusual I've ever heard of, and in some strange way it's almost like a romance, granted a really abusive one.  If I knew how to write, I'd make it a musical, but since I don't, I'll have to express the absurdity of it in a nice little monologue. --

"Saving the Emperor"

Come in
Come in
Have a seat anywhere
I like to have pillows strewn about
In whatever room I'm sitting in
I like allowing people to feel
That they can just fall
Wherever they like
And land safely
Comfortably

Stop stop stop
I didn't invite you here
To ravage me
At least not right away
You'll have to wait a few moments
I have a quandary

It's about Napoleon

. . . . .

Yes
Him

It seems...
There's a plot
To murder him
At his new island home

No
I'm not sure of the particulars
I just know it's going to happen
And when it's going to happen
And how and by whom

Apparently
I know a few particulars
But that doesn't obligate me
Does it?

What I mean to say is
Should I say anything?

Oh don't look at me like that
The man was brutal to me
He exiled me
From my home
For years!

What's going to happen to him
Isn't anywhere near as awful
It's just going to involve actual blood
As opposed to the metaphorical blood
The blood I shed in buckets
That I turned into pages
Of glorious prose

Where are you going?
I brought snacks
Sit back down
Have some gouda
It's aged

I'm not sure what to do
I don't want to see anyone murdered
For one thing
It might make a  martyr out of that little gnome
And I wouldn't want that
Once I'm done with my shocking expose on his life
I don't want any critics saying I'm being overly harsh
To someone who suffered a cruel end

And to be honest
I'm not sure I could bear it
Living without an enemy
A life without a foe
Is like a dinner
Without a guest
Everyone can gossip about
In the powder rooms
After he or she has left

I don't like Napoleon
But knowing he's out there
Drives me
It makes me work harder
It makes me want to prove myself

Not to mention
It's unfair to have him taken from me now
Now that's he suffering
Death is a kindness he doesn't deserve

What's the point of beating your competition
If at the end of the race
He's poisoned
Before he gets to see you glow with victory?

Hmm...

I've convinced myself
As I often do

I'll warn him
Or I'll send word along
What better salt in his wound
Than salvation from a woman
And not just any woman
But from the smartest
He ever dared to banish

I'll expect flowers
And if I don't get them
I might just take his life myself

Now
You may take me
On whichever pillow
You prefer

No comments:

Post a Comment