Saturday, January 10, 2009

I Still Don't Want You Having Sex

I'm happy
I'm deliriously
Feverishly
Happy

I'm giddy
I make cookies
Just for fun
I dance around rooms
To music on my stereo
Like a buffoon

I have monogamy
I have intimacy
I have camaraderie
I'm settled
And satisfied

And yet...

I still don't want you having sex

I don't want anyone touching you
Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever
I don't want anyone dating you
And making you laugh so hard
You shake your head back and forth
As if refuting some horrible statement
You can't bear to believe

It's been five years since the break-up
And I still don't want anyone
Kissing the insides of your thighs
Biting the back of your legs--playfully
Breathing into your ear
Making you claw whole chunks out of their back
With your fingernails

I still don't want you having sex

I'm mature
I'm an adult
I understand
That I've moved on
That you must too

But when I saw your photo
And I saw you standing next to
That Guy
On the Society Page
Of a newspaper I rarely look at
I felt a wave of jealously
And childishness
Sweep over me
Like dust cloud in the desert

I didn't want him near you
I didn't want any man near you
I wanted you to become chaste
I wanted your genitalia to fall off
I wanted you to turn into a doll
A life-sized chaste doll
That can't bend because it has no joints
And can't love because it has no heart
And can't have sex
Because it is NOT
An anatomically correct doll

I saw his arm around you
And I wanted to murder
Everyone in his family
And chew off his nose

I didn't know I was capable
Of rage like this
And the person I love
Looked at me
Across the breakfast table
And said--

'What's wrong?'

And what could I say?
I couldn't say--

'My ex is still having sex.'

Because that merely would have elicited a--

'Duh'

Or more dangerously a--

'Why do you care?'

And so I said nothing
Claimed I was feeling under the weather
But I gripped that paper in my hand
So tightly
That before I knew it
I was holding a ball of newspaper
With you crushed into the middle

It's not that I'd mind you moving on
Dating others
That I've accepted

I want you to be okay
And sane
And mostly delightful

I just don't want you having sex

The thought of someone else
Doing what we did
And perhaps
Doing it better
Is enough to make me scream
As I did in the shower
Claiming it was the sudden jolt
Of unexpected cold water
That brought it on
When I was questioned
Through the bathroom door

I kept wondering--

Does he know about your knee?
Does he know about your eyelids?
Does he know where on your back...?
And how far down...?
And exactly how to...?

It felt like sizing up an opponent
But one I would never get to take on
Because I am happy
And you're happy
And everyone's happy

And I still don't want you having sex

Why is that the one thing I can't get past?
Why is that the one thing that drives me crazy?
Why is the thought of you loving another man
Not bothersome at all
But the thought you simply rolling around naked with one
Enough to destroy me?

Is it because I'm a man?
Am I that typical?
That much of a cliche?
Should I simply pick up a club
And reinvent the wheel
While standing outside my cave?

Or am I kidding myself?
Am I really miserable?
Do I hate my life?
Up until the Society Page
Had all those feelings of contentment
Been one grand delusion?

I don't know

I just know
That I never knew
How much I missed you
Until I saw that photo
And saw how happy you were
How happy I didn't think you could be
Without me

And I won't speak of it
I won't pursue it
I won't think of it
Or at least
I'll try not to

But I still don't feel right
I still don't feel over this
I still don't feel better
I still don't think there was closure
I still don't want someone else
Having what we had
And having it better

I still don't want you to love him
More than you loved me

And I still don't want you having sex

No comments:

Post a Comment