Monday, January 26, 2009

No, I Can't Introduce You to Connery

-- At Bob's request, this is the first monologue I've written as part of my "Give Me a Title" challenge.  Let's see how it goes. --

"No, I Can't Introduce You to Connery"

Yes
Take the canape
Eat it slowly
Look around the room
Be awed
But don't show it

No
We can't stay long
The woman over there
She hates your dress
Because she owns it
And now she can't wear it
So she hates you
So we have to leave
Sooner rather than later
Which is fine

Don't
Spit
Out
The
Canape

I know it's disgusting
But you need to swallow it
Swallow it and smile
Pretend you love it
Of course you hate it
We all do
Everybody hates it
But we're all swallowing
And you can too
Just gulp
Don't savor
There's no savoring that shit
Just swallow

No, I can't introduce you to Connery

Because he's not here
That's Mark Tanker
Head of Digimont
He's producing 'Sugar'
Superhero movie
Based on a graphic novel
That a bunch of eternally pubescent
Too-good-to-call-it-a-comic book
Never-getting-laid geeks just adore

It'll open at number one
It'll stay there for two weeks
It'll kill in foreign markets
It will make a star
Out of whoever sucks off Mr. Tanker tonight
And gets that role

That's going to be you
You're going to be Sugar, Jan
Nice and sweet
You get it?

Don't walk away
Let me talk
This isn't a casting couch situation
I'm not pimping you out
This isn't Fame
And you aren't Coco
So don't worry
No lollipops
Just good old dicks
You can handle that
Can't you?

You think Charlize Theron never did it?
You think Jessica Lange never did it?
You think Kim Novak never did it?
They all did it
And you're going to do it
Hell, I'd do it
If that asshole would let me

Do you know what it took
To get you into this party?
Do you know
That the only reason you're here
Is because my brother
Happens to play in a band
That Mark Tanker's grandson
Happens to like

Do you know the odds of that?
Do you understand how lucky we are?
Do you think I'm going to stay with you
Any longer than tonight
If you turn down this opportunity?

This is it, Jan
This is our Indecent Proposal
Never mind
I see getting Netflix
Was a complete waste

I need you to do this, sugar
See how good that sounds?
My sugar
So nice and sweet

Eat the fucking canape
I don't care
Have more
Everyone else is having more
You have more
And you work your way over there
You talk to Mr. Tanker
Imagine he's Connery if it helps
Mrs. Tanker's already upstairs
Passed out or fucking her own age
Which means significantly younger than her husband

You go over there
And you charm that old bastard
You make him think he's Hugh Fucking Hefner
And you're a kitten waiting for him in the grotto
Or I'm sending you back to Seattle
And you can rot there
And do bad poetry
And your fucking bad coffeeshop
Guitar bullshit
Every Tuesday with the patchouli fucks

I'll find another girl
Right here at this party
With the drive I got
With the ambition I'm sporting
With the will to make something of herself
And do the time-honored tradition
Of screwing the Important
Rather than just the Available

Go get that role, Jan
Or get lost

. . . . .

Hey
Wait a minute
Before you go
Swallow
Swallow the canape
And see if you can smile
While you do it

No comments:

Post a Comment