Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Giant Watermelon

-- I wrote about Pedro and Cassandra briefly in "The Train Out of New York," but since I'm working on pieces involving burning bridges, how could I not include an actual bridge in addition to a metaphorical one?  If it sounds a little like John Patrick Shanley...  Well, you don't watch Moonstruck over a hundred times without any effect.  --

"The Giant Watermelon"

You gotta come with me
You just gotta
Cassandra
Baby
C'mon

Baby, there ain't no time
You gotta come down now
If you still want to do this
The rain's gonna start any second
And they don't marry kids
Undernearth the Giant Watermelon
When it's raining

Cassandra
Your family
They don't get it
They just don't
They never will
You gotta come down

We're never gonna get the blessing
But that doesn't mean
We can't bless each other
I can bless you with a life
Filled with love and devotion
And you can bless me
And we can get married
Before God and Brooklyn
In front of the luckiest tourist trap
In the whole borough

People who get married
In front of the Giant Watermelon
End up having kids
Who play for the Yankees
They have daughters
Who win spelling bees
They have nice homes
And nice cars
And they never need
Their parents' blessings

I know I'm a just a joke
Around the neighborhood
But you love me
You love me, Cassandra Miniducci
And that means I'm something

I can't give you a wedding
In one of those big churches
Or a reception
At a swanky restaurant
Where they serve crab and salmon
And I can't even afford
To put a nice ring on your finger
But I can give you a photo
In front of that watermelon

I kissed you for the first time
In front of that watermelon
I kissed you when we were five
And our parents took us there
Back before my Dad's car shop
Put your dad's car shop out of business

I kissed you there when we were ten
When we ran away for the first time
And took the ferry
And told everybody
That we were on a school field trip
Even though it was a Saturday

I kissed you there when we were fifteen
And it was right after the spring social
You went with Bobby Tarentini
And he tried grabbing you
And I gave him the bloodiest nose
Anybody could ever get
And you were crying
And I took you to the watermelon
And I told you I'd marry you
And five years later
That's where I proposed

I know what it's gonna cost
To marry you
I know what you and I
Are gonna have to give up
But sometimes you gotta lose a nickel
To make a quarter
You know?

Oh baby
Baby don't cry
I know that sounds stupid
That's cause I'm stupid
You're going to have a stupid husband
You should know that now
Shouldn't you?

Aw
See?
I made you laugh

Come over that bridge with me, Cassandra
Come over that bridge
And over every other bridge
Every bridge we gotta cross
To get to a place
Where we can have each other
And everything else we want
And nobody's telling us we can't

Maybe that means
We gotta burn our bridges behind us
And that's okay with me
I don't want nothing but you
You and the sun every morning, baby
That's all I'll ever need in this life

Come down
Come down here
And I promise I'll never make promises
And I'll never guarantee
And I'll never do nothing
But love you and make you proud of me
I was never any good at fixing cars
So what good was I gonna be here anyway?

Come away with me
And say you'll never look back
Even when you feel the warmth
Of the fires
Taking over our history

Stand with me
In front of that Giant Watermelon
And make a wish with me
That we'll do better than our parents
And that we'll be happier
And that we'll be blessed
And okay
So maybe that's more than one wish

Wish that I'll love you forever
And baby, you'll get your wish
That I don't have to promise
Cause that I know

Come on down, baby
Come start your life with me

Kiss your little sister
And pack your little suitcase
And look around your room
One last time

Then say good-bye
And come down to me
I'm begging, Cassandra
Please

Aw, okay
You can cry
You can cry, baby
I don't mind

And when you're done crying
I'll still be here
Don't you worry, baby

I'll still be standing here
Waiting for my wish
To come true

No comments:

Post a Comment