Saturday, January 31, 2009

How We Are Grieving

-- This really is the last part of the Forgiveness piece.  I knew it would all have to come back to the kids. ---

"How We Are Grieving"

I.  Denial

Go home, Mom
I don't have much to say
Just go home

Look at you

Sitting around in London
And you hate London
And I know you hate London
And you're here
Asking me to tell you what to do

Well, I'm telling you
Go home
Go home already
It's been so long

I'm not here, Mom
I'm not in London
Why would I be in London?
You never even took me to London

You took me to Italy
You took me to Milan
But not London
Because I didn't want to go there
And I still don't
But here I am
Because here you are

Sitting in a hotel room
Waiting for Dad to come back
From whatever bar he's in
Looking for you
Because you're a drunk

Oops

Was I not supposed to say that?
Is it upsetting to hear?
Try watching it
It's torture

Those earrings
Are they mine?
Are you wearing my earrings?

Get them off
You can't wear my earrings
They look ridiculous on you
And wasn't I wearing them
When I was in the crash?

How on earth did you get them?
God, that's so morbid
Don't you know how morbid that is?
Get them off, for godsakes

You're like a woman possessed
And I don't know by you
Certainly not by me

Mother, please
Do us both a favor
Get Dad
Go to Italy
Have the pizza with the olives
And then go home

You're looking for me
Everywhere but where you know I'll be
And I don't know what the point of that is
Are you afraid to find me?
I'm not planning on haunting you, Mother
I'm not Casper
I'm not going to do parlor tricks
Make napkins dance or anything

I'd just like you to go home
Because you're tired
Because you're more than tired
Because you're exhausted
And it shows

Stop whispering prayers
Into stone walls in Jerusalem, Mother
I'm not there

Stop throwing bottles into the sea
The Dead Sea
The Red Sea
The Mediterranean
I'm not in any of them

Stop asking if I can hear you
On mountaintops
On cliffs overlooking metropolises
On rooftops in Bombay

Of course I can hear you
But that doesn't mean I want to listen
Everybody's telling you
Talk to Olivia
She'll listen
She hears you
She misses you

Well, I'm sorry, Mother
But I don't
I don't miss you
I'm dead
I'm happy
With the exception
Of having to come back here
And clean up your grief

I'm sorry you miss me
I'm sorry we didn't have more time together
I'm sorry I didn't drive that night
Not that it would have made any difference

I'm sorry you thought I'd be waiting for you somewhere
If you just looked hard enough
I'm nowhere, not everywhere
No matter what the self-help bullshitters might say
I'm nowhere, Mother
And it's a lovely place

So go home
I won't be there
But Dad will be
And that's more important

It's important to be with the people
Who are still around
And not chase after those
Who aren't anywhere

I kept hoping that one day you wouldn't find me
And you'd realize what you had to do
But I can't wait for that anymore
So instead I'm just telling you

Go home
Go home
Go home

I love you
But go home

II.  Anger

I almost walked by you
Isn't that scary?
My own mother
And I almost passed you
And kept going

What happened to you?
I'm supposed to be the dead one
Not you, Mom

Can I ask you a question?
Can I ask more than one?
Can I, Mom?

How many plates will you have to break?
How many screaming matches will you need to have?
How many nasty words?
How many horrible threats?
How many hurtful things?

How many, Mom?

Don't think that my love is unconditional
Just because I'm not here to monitor you
You can still upset me
You can still annoy me
You can still disgust me

That's all still possible

When you hold onto that anger
You're not holding me
You're pushing me away

At this point
I would even use the word shoving

The truth is
You love being angry
More than you ever loved me

That intensity that drives you
That keeps you up at night
That seduces you into thinking
That you're doing okay
Has eclipsed any sort of feeling
That you had for me

I don't care if you forgive Paul
For crashing into me that night
I don't care if you forgive Dad
For forgiving Paul
I don't even care if you forgive yourself
For becoming someone
Your own son wouldn't even recognize

But I do care about pictures
I care about the ones on the mantel
The ones of you and me and Dad
Back when you were still someone
I was proud to call my mom

If you can't be that person again
Then take those pictures down
And bury them like you buried me

If you won't allow for the possibility
That things could be good again
That they could get better
That you could get past his
Then bury it all
Just bury it

But don't stare at my pictures
And call me your son
If you're not going to be the woman
Who raised that son
Who raised him to be kind
And loyal
And forgiving

If that's not possible
Then I might as well have been a dream
My whole life
Up to the moment
Of that crash
Might as well have been nothing at all

If you can convince yourself
That it's possible to be so hateful
And still hold onto me
Then anything should seem possible

Shouldn't it?

I love you, Mom
But I'm so mad at you
Right now
I don't want to be anywhere near you

III.   Bargaining

Bad news, Dad

It turns out
That the whole
Eye for an eye thing
Is complete bullshit

Oh
And there are homos up here
Lots of them
And interracial couples
And atheists
And even no aborted fetuses
Although it's possible
That I just haven't seen them yet

This is heaven
This is my heaven, Dad
Maybe it's not yours
But I'm having a great time

And the woman you killed is up here
The woman you never told me about
She's here
And she forgives you
But you know what?

I don't

Perhaps if you'd been a loving
Tender father
I'd be able to get past what you did
But the fact
That you got up on a pedestal
And stayed up there
My entire life
Is a little more
Than I can forgive
When you add it to vehicular homocide

Are you surprised
That it's possible
To be spiteful
In heaven?

I suppose wonders never cease

Stop trying to make deals with God
It's gone from devotion
To obsessive compulsion disorder

'If I touch this light switch three times
I'll be able to spend eternity with my daughter.'

It doesn't work that way

Would you like to hear
How it does work?

Hug your son
When he says he hates you

Tell your wife she's beautiful
When she gains four pounds

Thank God you had a daughter
For as long as you did

And thank Him again
That she has a very, very long time
To get past what a horrible father you were

Do those things
Do them often
And you'll even be able
To skip a few Sundays

Life is full of injustices
And they don't get made right
Just because you get to heaven
They're just one more thing to laugh at
That you never thought you'd laugh at

I love you, Dad
Because I can't help it

But even angels have memories
And mine are so heavy
I feel like they're going to pull me down
Down so far
I might fall right out of heaven

IV.  Depression

Your honor
I would like to testify
On behalf of my parents
Unfortunately I'm unable to do so
Because I am deceased

Still
I would like to suggest
That you allow my parents
To divorce
As soon as possible

They have stopped making each other happy
They have stopped having relations of any kind
They have stopped having a life together
And as someone who no longer lives
I can't tell you how much that pisses me off

I would like you to free them
From their legal binding
And assure you
That it will in no way
Prohibit them from being with me someday

God does not want any of us
To be miserable
Life, as they say, is short
And sometimes marriages must be as well

I want this divorce
So that my Dad
Can jump in his car
And drive as far as he wants to

I want him to get his cabin
On a lake somewhere
Surrounded by giant trees
And mountains

I want him to fish
I want him to chop wood
I want him to camp twice a year
With men he calls friends
Who understand him
And what he's lost

I want my mother
To move to the city
And marry a rich man
Who can show her the world

I want her to shop
I want her to get plastic surgery
Until she looks like she's always wanted to
Even though she's always been perfect

I want her to get her nails done
I want her to spend too much on jewelry
I want her to walk on a beach when she turns seventy
I want her to develop a lovely addiction to something
And have it keep her warm
After her husband leaves her
And she gets it all in the divorce
Because by that time
She'll know how to pick a good lawyer

Your Honor
I had wonderful parents
But without me to parent
There's not much left
That's wonderful

I ask you to free them
From their joint grief
And let them be people again
Rather than just my parents

Let them be the caretakers
Of their own lives
Rather than the gatekeepers
Of my unnecessary legacy

I love them, your Honor
And seeing them so depressed
Is more difficult
Than you can understand

They'll never be able to let me go
Unless they let each other go first

V.  Acceptance

Somewhere
There are four teenagers
Sitting on a bench
At a train station
Waiting for someone

They look across the tracks
At another bench
Where another young man is waiting
And they're not sure who he is

They don't speak to each other
But they stay close
And when the train finally arrives
They board separate cars

They came to do something
They all had a task
A process
That had to be undertaken
In order to handle their grief

Now they could return
From whence they came
Their baggage still held
Tightly in their hands

But perhaps a little lighter
Perhaps a bit more manageable

None of them went to see Paul
Because only Paul can see Paul
He doesn't need to see them anyway
He'll be with them soon

The misconception would be
That they don't miss anything
That they don't feel anything
That they are fine
That everything is fine

But the truth is more complicated
And why wouldn't it be?
Isn't it always?

They are grieving
But they are competent
They are forgiving
But they are angry
They are atoning
But they are stubborn
They are saddened
But they are grateful
They are gone
But they are glorious

But mostly
They are hopeful

And hope
Hope is complicated

No comments:

Post a Comment