Saturday, June 30, 2012

Arsenic and Old Lace

We used to have this old lady
Who’d come to the first preview of every show
And accost all the actors afterwards
Telling them what a bad job they were doing
And how she couldn’t believe she wasted her money
On the crap she’d just witnessed

I should probably mention
That the first preview of any show
At the theater
Was always pay-what-you-can
And she always gave us a penny
So now you can feel free
To generate an opinion about her

One of our nicknames for her
Was Penny Pincher

I can’t say the other nicknames
Without making some of you blush
So I’ll abstain

She especially hated me

We were doing Arsenic and Old Lace
In the winter of 1979
And after the first preview
I could see her waddling towards me
In the theater lobby
So I started pushing through the crowd
To avoid her

I don’t know how an able-bodied young man
And a weather-beaten old hag
Seemed to maneuver a crowd
At exactly the same pace
But somehow she still wound up getting outside
At the exact same time I did

But before she could say anything
She stepped on a patch of ice
Right in front of the theater

I saw her legs kick out from under her
And down she went
Like a pile of bones and skin

Coincidentally, Pile of Bones and Skin
Is one of the other nicknames we had for her at the theater

The whole time she was on the ground waiting for the ambulance
She was holding onto the leg of my pants
So I couldn’t move

I thought about kicking her arm away
And making a run for it
But there were too many witnesses

When the ambulance finally got there
She told them I was her son
And could I ride in the back with her

They said sure and—What was I going to say?

No?

If you’re thinking the fall
Exposed her truer, kinder self
You’re wrong

On the way to the hospital
She told me how much she hated the show
And how it was the worst thing she’d ever seen me do
And why didn’t I just give up acting
And become one of those guys who checks the meters?

I asked her why she keeps coming to the theater
If she hates what we do so much

She told me her husband used to drag her there
Against her wishes
And when he died
She kept going
Because it was something they always did together

When we got to the hospital
I made sure she got a room
And then I wished her luck
And we exchanged a surprisingly pleasant good-bye

‘Will I see you at the next preview,’ I asked

‘I don’t know,’ she said, ‘Maybe I’ll just get lucky and drop dead before then.’

I looked right at her and said—‘God willing’

No comments:

Post a Comment