Saturday, June 9, 2012

Endgame


Beau took off for Hollywood
In the middle of our tenth season

He had this crisis
Where he thought he could be a movie director
And a friend got him a job
Working on this independent movie
So for the last part of the season
We didn’t have an Artistic Director

While he was gone
The biggest jerk in the company
Got even worse

Beau’s wife could keep the jerk in check up to a point
But for the most part
He did whatever he wanted

And that spring
He decided that I was going to be
His punching bag

It all started because we were finishing the season with Endgame
And he thought I was an idiot
Because I didn’t know what it was about

I still don’t know what it’s about

It’s Beckett!

The wonderful thing about Beckett
Is that the less you try to understand it
The more enjoyable it is

Sort of like my mother

She didn’t want me to be an actress
She thought men would take advantage of me

She’s right, in a way
I mean…

They did try

Mr. Lead Actor tried

Beau’s wife told me the only reason he was even in the company
Was because he had something on Beau

I just knew he was an awful person

But the then one day
After a matinee performance of Endgame
He asked me if I got the play yet

I said—‘No’
And I heard him mumble something under his breath

I asked him what he said
And he looked right at me
And said—

‘That’s because you’re stupid.’

You know what my mother used to say?

She used to say
There’s a difference
Between stupid and crazy

And she was right

Because as soon as the play had finished its run
I went back in the dressing room
Where Mr. Fancy Actor was
And I shot him

Everyone else was gone
Again, crazy
Not stupid

I took him out back
And chopped him up
Then left him in a different few dumpsters
And called it a night

Nobody ever found out it was me
And I died a year ago
At what they used to call
‘A ripe old age’

It feels good to confess after all these years
Not because I feel badly about what I did
But because when you do theater
You know how important a good ending is
To anything

And I’d say this is a pretty good ending
Wouldn’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment