Friday, June 29, 2012

The Homecoming


When we took The Homecoming to New York
I think of most of us thought
We weren’t coming back

The show was going to play off-Broadway
But people were already saying
Broadway, this is a revelation
Really laying it on us
Hell, a film producer even came by
To talk about, you know, future projects
Or whatever

Either way, we all thought after that
We were going to be New York actors
No more of this small town stuff

And so we went to New York
With a lot of fanfare
And our little production
And, uh, well, it did okay

Got a good write-up

I still have that copy of the New York Times
That mentions my name
And what a good job I did

We did our run
And…that was that

The Broadway talk had been premature, I guess
Although we did bring it to Chicago
For a limited run there
And that was nice

Then we came home

And that was, uh…

Well, it was difficult

Because we thought—

Well, I don’t want to speak for everyone
But, I thought…

I thought that was it

That we had really broken through, you know?

So many people
Making so many promises

And I was stupid
Because I was old enough at the time
To know that you can’t let your head
Get big on promises
But, I…

Damn, you know?

Just damn

One of us stayed, actually

Beth, our fearless leader
Our Artistic Director
She…

She got offered another job out there
And she took it

She left the Orpheus Theater
And the acting company
And I can’t say I blame her

She had a kid
And things at the theater were always rough for her
Always had the good old boys
And the Jesus kooks
Breathing down her neck

Must have been nice
To finally be appreciated
And to move up, you know?

Up

But it was so…unceremonious

We couldn’t even give her a party or anything
Because the Board was so pissed
That she’d take off like that
Without any warning

The actors were upset too
They felt like she deserted them

I guess I sort of felt that way too

And, of course, we were all insanely jealous
But that’s normal

I think we all thought—

What now?

You know?

What now?

No comments:

Post a Comment