Friday, June 1, 2012

The Playboy of the Western World


Beau got it into his head
That he wanted to, uh
Well, what’s the word?

Bed me

He wanted to bed me

That just sounds classier
Than what he really wanted to do to me

I wasn’t interested

I find people in positions of authority
To be…well, just not my type

I like rebels

That’s why I liked the boy he had playing the lead
In The Playboy of the Western World

They found him at this local community college
And he, well, I guess the only thing I can say about him
Is that he didn’t give a shit

I mean, pardon my language
But he really didn’t

Used to sit there chewing on a toothpick
All throughout rehearsal
Even when he wasn’t onstage

Everyone told Beau he should have gotten an actor from New York
They told him we were Equity now
And we needed to start using real talent
But Beau couldn’t shake this kid

Something about certain people
Just got to him

It got to me too

There was something more, well, alive about him
Than the rest of us

Those of us that weren’t in love with him
Were deeply jealous

I think Beau might have been a little of both

Well, uh, that boy got it into his head
That he was going to have me
The same way that Beau wanted me

And I was a little more than interested, but…

I was too old for him, in my opinion
And besides, back then girls didn’t date boys
Younger than them

But he was persistent
And one night, after a show
I took him home with me

I still remember how good he looked
Sitting in my kitchen
Leaning back in a chair
Feet up on the table
Chewing on a toothpick

After that show closed
Beau intended to have him join the company
But then someone let it slip
That he and I were…

And so instead, Beau let him go

And he went

Nobody knew where

I think the theater gave him some stability
And when he didn’t have that...well, uh…

He left me a note
It said—

"You've turned me a likely gaffer in the end of all, the way I'll go romancing through a romping lifetime, from this hour to the dawning of the Judgment Day."

You know, I’ve been dead for awhile now
And I still miss that boy

I still can’t find him either
No matter where I look

It’s like he wasn’t of this world
Like he was born out of the theater
Out of the art

Out of that boundless energy
That we all try to capture
For an hour here or there

He was bigger than life
Maybe that’s what made him seem
So much more
Than just alive

No comments:

Post a Comment