Saturday, June 23, 2012

Equus


I warned Beth
That she was on thin ice

I’d been going to the Orpheus Theater
Since the beginning
Since Beau started it

Before they even had a space

It had been thirteen years at that point
And going into the thirteenth season
I told Beth that the subscriber base
Was not happy

Now, I was not Queen of the Subscribers
But I was a loyal audience member
And I did feel
That my voice
Should be heard

I’m no actor
I’m no director
I’m no artist

But actors and artists
Don’t keep themselves in business
Now do they?

Beth wanted the thirteenth season opener
To be Equus
And I said I didn’t think it was a good idea

Nudity, religious fervor
Horse puppets

It all just seemed like too much

For the type of audience
That was going to the theater at that point

Back when it was theater in the parking garage
It was okay to test the waters
But success means appealing
To a broad spectrum

‘You’re the Artistic Director of a highly reputable theater, my dear,’ I said to Beth, ‘You can’t go around acting like you’re running the black box at a community college.’

Oh, she didn’t like that

It’s always funny to me
That artists love expressing themselves
But they hate it when non-artists do

I told Beth that there had been rumblings
That certain factions in town
Were trying to get the theater shut down
For putting on depraved and inappropriate material

It may have sounded like the 1800’s
Instead of the late 1970’s
But a small town is a small town

I told Beth I’d try to protect her and the theater
Because both were near and dear to my heart
But…

There was only so much I could do
If she wasn’t willing to listen

She informed me
She was going to do as she pleased
And if I didn’t like it
I could cancel my subscription

So I went one of those groups that wanted to close the theater
The one all the actors called ‘The Merry Widows’
And I told them about Equus
About its content
And of course, they were very upset

They started putting the wheels in motion
To really shut the doors of the theater
And at that point
It was out of my hands

There was one valuable lesson
Beth never learned

She never accepted the fact
That it’s all about the audience

But…I suppose
Some people have to learn things
The hard way

No comments:

Post a Comment