Saturday, June 30, 2012

Betrayal

We started out the sixteenth season
By sending one of our shows
To London

The Artistic Director thought
It would give us some legitimacy
As a company
To go international

The last Artistic Director had taken a show to New York
So of course, this one had to do one better

I’d never been on a plane in my life
So I was apprehensive
But we were doing this fantastic production of Betrayal
And I wasn’t about to hand my part over
To another actress

So I got smashed at the airport bar
Stashed a joint in my pocketbook just in case
And got on the plane

London was fabulous

There’s something so thrilling
About being an American in a foreign country

Probably because everybody thinks so little of us
That when you act like an idiot
They just nod at you
As if to say—

‘Yes, that’s about what we were expecting from you fast food eating hicks’

While we were in London
I met a man
Another actor
This blonde-haired, fair-skinned British actor
With a perfect, crisp
Clipped accent

He could have read the tag on a mattress
And made it sound sexy

And on a few occasions
I believe he did
Probably because it was the only reading material available

It was quite an affair

The show ran for a few weeks
And on the last day
I decided I was staying in London

I had no urge to go back to America
Just to be some poor single woman
Who doesn’t know what it’s like to have a man shout out a line from Henry V
While he’s making love to you

When I went to his apartment
To tell him the good news
I used the key under the mat
To let myself in
And that’s where I found him

In bed

With someone else

A male someone else

Insert joke here about gay men and British men
And how I couldn’t tell the difference

Go ahead, laugh
Everybody else did
When they found out

I went back home
And never got on a plane again

And I never dated or trusted another actor
As long as I lived

The thing is, you can never really tell
When they’re acting
And when they’re not

Hell, I think sometimes
Even they don’t know

I’ll say this for that whole experience

The show was wonderful
The weather was nice
And if I learned one thing
It’s that gay men are the best lovers

God, isn’t life cruel?

No comments:

Post a Comment