Friday, June 29, 2012

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

When they shut down the theater
We were doing Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

And I mean, we were doing it
We had just finished act one
And the police showed up
And shut the place down

Something about conduct, codes, nonsense

What really happened
Was that the religious nuts who had been picketing us
Finally got their hands on photos of the Mayor
Dressed as Baby Huey
Or something like that
And he agreed to close us
Until we agreed to do appropriate shows
Like The Secret Garden or Hey There Jesus!

Now, I should explain something to you

My father was a vaudeville man

In my family, we didn’t have church
We had show business
And our only tenet was this—

The show goes on

So, there I am onstage
Holding a snifter
Because it’s Albee
Everybody drinks
And back then we really drank
So I’m a little buzzed
And the police come in
And surprisingly
It was not the first time
I’d been in the middle of a theater raid

My father used to open for burlesque acts
And those types of places
Used to get shut down
Every other night

So I wasn’t scared
But the other actors were shaken up
And Beth, our Artistic Director
Got hauled away
When she tried to block the police
And in the process
Ended up socking one of the officers
Right in the jaw

She was my kinda girl

Anyway, the audience didn’t know what to do
But I did

I kept right on going with the play

I don’t believe in stopping a show for anything

I once did an Antony and Cleopatra
Where somebody died in the front row
And as soon as the sheet was over the body
I went right back to groping Marc Antony

Not because I’m disrespectful
But because that motto
That belief—the show goes on
That’s sacred

So I kept going
And the audience stayed where they were
And the policemen tried to hustle everybody out
But nobody moved
Not as any sort of political statement
But because they wanted to see how it all would end

Pretty soon the police sat down too
And when the show was over
They applauded just like everybody else
And then they shut down the theater
Just like they said they would

We reopened a week later
And after that, we had all the audiences we needed

Remember, there’s no such thing as bad publicity

I actually thought I gave my best performance that night

Because all you really need
To turn in a dynamite performance
Is conviction
And that night
I was full of conviction

We all were

My father would have been proud, I’ll tell you that

Somewhere, he was probably clapping up a storm

No comments:

Post a Comment