Saturday, June 23, 2012

Of Mice and Men


When Beth was Artistic Director
She didn’t put up with any of the macho bullshit
Beau used to let slip

She wanted all the drinking before shows stopped
Hell, some people used to drink during shows
That’s how bad we were

But you have to understand
These were habits that went on for ten years
And all of a sudden
We were just supposed to cut it out?

I never had a problem drinking
But that’s only because my brother did
And I had to spend most of my time
Keeping an eye on him

There was another guy in the company at the time
Who was just as bad as my brother was
And pretty soon
I was watching out for him too

We all were

As soon as Beth took over
We knew this guy was going to be in trouble
Unless we convinced him to get help

So we did one of those interventions
And, uh…

Well, it didn’t work

So instead, we just started covering for him
You know, the way people do
When they’re in that situation

But one night, he was so out of it onstage
He fell and almost cracked his head open

We had to stop the show
And when Beth found out
She canned him

I didn’t bother keeping in touch with him after that
I figured I knew how that story was going to end
And why did I want to know about it?

You know, Beau looked at all of us
As a sort of family

He could be mean
And he could fly off the handle
And fire people now and again
But the people who needed to be there
Like that guy

Well, he took care of those people

Beth just ran the whole thing like a business

It’s my personal experience
That theater shouldn’t be run like a business

If I had wanted to go into business
I would have worked for GE

I went into theater
Because I liked the passion
And the compassion
Do you understand what I’m saying?

My brother died while we were doing Of Mice and Men
And Beth didn’t even go to the funeral

I don’t even think she knew I had a brother
Or if she did, she figured she didn’t need
To show me any love

And I never had any love for her
Or the Orpheus Theater
After that

In my opinion, when art turns into business
Everything starts going downhill real fast

But hey, that’s just my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment