Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Dutchman


I want to tell you a little story
To remind you
That we weren’t in a bubble

None of us

You hear stories about the theater
And it’s as if we existed outside of place and time

Like what was going on around us
Didn’t matter

Because we were in a nice little town
In the North
In New England
Where nothing bad ever happens
Except lousy weather

Hell, I think even we forgot sometimes
That we weren’t immune
To the shit happening
Outside the doors
Of the Orpheus

So you’re probably not going to hear a lot of stories
About Vietnam
And Nixon
And disco
Or whatever

We just didn’t pay attention to much more
Than what exit we were supposed to use to get offstage
And how many lines we were going to have
In the next show

That’s why when that girl…

She was working at the theater
Little nineteen-year-old thing
Rich girl, wanted to be an actress
Beau wanted nothing to do with her
But her Daddy cut the theater a check
And the new Board piped up
And even Beau had to agree
So in she came

In she came…

They had her assistant stage manage
The Dutchman

And right away
She had her eye on me

Now, I wasn’t stupid
Beau warned me about that girl
Because Beau and I were tight
I mean, he was my brother
And I don’t say that like it’s nothing
Because I had brothers
But Beau was like family to me

People say this and that about him
But all I gotta say is
He had my back

But I said—‘Beau, don’t worry.  I’m not going near that girl.’

Yeah, well

Sometimes you need to know what you’re dealing with

An elephant will leave you alone
As long as you don’t go bothering it

But a tiger’ll come after you
Just ‘cause it feels like it

And that girl was a tiger

One night, we’re out getting drunk
The group of us
And I see that girl there
Even though she was underage

I figure I’ll mind my own business
But I guess I had one too many
Because the next thing you know
I’m getting in a cab
And that tiger’s right there with me

Took me to some motel
Right outside of town

Must have paid for it
With the cash in my wallet

I remember stumbling into the room
And her pushing me on the bed
Like I was just a sack of something
She was going to unload

The next thing I know
She’s in the corner crying
Holding a blanket around herself
Mad because in my current state
I’m sure I wasn’t much good to her

She got all mad
Saying I’d made a fool out of her
And then she took off
And I went back to sleep for another few hours

The next day, I walk into the theater
And her Daddy’s sitting in Beau’s office
With his daughter crying
And even from downstairs
I could hear him yelling—

‘I want that nigger fired!’

Can you believe I was the same age you see me as now
And I’d gone my whole life
Never hearing that word?

Like I said—it’s a bubble

Now her Daddy must have known
I didn’t do anything wrong
Because otherwise he would have gone to the police
But even so—

I knew he could probably get me fired

If a white guy with money
Wants a black guy fired
Usually the reason isn’t all that important

But Big Daddy didn’t know who he was dealing with
Because he left Beau’s office
Looking pretty upset

I guess Beau told him
That he stands by the actors in his company
And that the only mistake he’s made recently
Is letting that spoiled little bitch of his
Into his theater

Legend has it he tore up the guy’s check too
But that seems unlikely

Now, if this story happened today
Or in a different place
Or whatever
In a bubble
I guess then that would be the ending

But like I said, sometimes things come along
And pop your bubble

This was 1971

Do you understand what I’m saying?

Two weeks after the little conversation in Beau’s office
I was walking to my car one night
And two guys jumped me

One had a knife

Bang

I’m out

Just like that

I’m done

Beau swore up and down
That girl and her Daddy
Had something to do with it
But there was nothing anybody could do

Those were the times
That was the reality

You spend so much time
Making believe
Pretending

Thinking the worst things that’ll happen to you
Will only happen onstage
And then the lights’ll go down
And come up
And everything will be fine

Not so, my friends, not so

Anyway, that’s my story

That’s all I have to say

No comments:

Post a Comment