Saturday, June 30, 2012

Buried Child

The last show of our fifteenth season
Was Buried Child
And the show turned out sort of lousy
Because halfway through the rehearsal process
Beau’s son showed up
Wanting to be an actor

He was fifteen
And crazier than his mother and father combined

I guess he’d dropped out of school
And ran away from his mother in New York
To come live with Beau
Although Big Daddy wasn’t having it
Not any of it

He was perfectly happy sending the kid a birthday card
Once a year

Girls out there
Let me give you a piece of advice:

Artists do not make good fathers
And they breed other artists

They multiply
Like gremlins

Always remember that

Beau had no choice but to let the kid stay
Tennessee’s mother didn’t want him back
Until he’d straightened out a little bit
And she thought it was time for Beau
To start acting like a dad

So Beau gave his son odd jobs to do around the theater
‘But,’ he said, ‘Under no circumstances are you going to act’

He said acting was for egomaniacs
And childhood trauma victims
And that was it

I felt like telling him
That some of us are just in it
For the cocaine and the orgies
But I kept my mouth shut

Beau had been pretty relaxed that season
But having his son around
Just brought out all his old habits

The bad temper, the nastiness

Beau and Tennessee fought like cats and dogs
The whole rehearsal process
And on the opening night of the show
Beau said something nasty to the kid
At the after party
And the next thing we knew
Tennessee was throwing glasses
Right at Beau’s head

The men all grabbed Tennessee
And the women all sheltered Beau
Which is pretty indicative
Of what was wrong with that company
If you ask me

‘Jesus Beau,’ I said, ‘What did you say to the poor kid?’

Beau looked right at me
And with no shame said—

‘I told him he doesn’t belong here.’

Can you imagine saying to your son
That he doesn’t belong in the one place
You feel more at home
Than anywhere else on earth?

That man could be a real bastard
And I mean that

The kid’s mom came and picked him up
And because Beth and I always got along
I went to Beau’s house with her
And helped her and her son
Pack up his things

At one point, Ten sat down on his bed
And burst into tears
And if you know fifteen-year-old boys
You know it takes a lot to get them to cry

‘I hope the whole damn place burns down,’ he said, ‘That’s how much I hate him.’

Beth sat down on one side of him
And I sat down on the other
And we tried to pull him together enough
To get him back to the car
So Beth could take him back
To New York

The next day when I went to the theater
Beau asked me how everything I went

I could tell he was a little ashamed about what happened
But he didn’t want to show it

I said, ‘Beau, I’m going to tell you a story
And that’s going to be me saying my peace’

I told him that my dad was the best lawyer
In all of St. Louis
When I was growing up
But he was one miserable father

I told Beau that he’d been dead for years
And that there was a good chance
Nobody remembers what a great lawyer he was
But I’d go to my grave remembering
How bad he was at being my dad

‘Remember that,’ I said, ‘The next time you choose this theater over your son’

And that was my peace

Oh, don’t get any ideas
He didn’t listen to a word I said
But at least I said it

Maybe Beau did a lot for this theater
But he didn’t do shit for his son

A lot of us sacrificed things for this place
Friends, time, our sanities, our health

But Beau sacrificed his son
And knowing that—

It makes me wish the whole place had just burned the ground
A long time ago

I can’t help it
It’s just how I feel

No comments:

Post a Comment