Saturday, June 23, 2012

Same Time, Next Year


Beth and I used to love
Going at it on the sets

After everybody would leave
After rehearsal
Beth would offer to lock up
For the stage manager
And we’d…

Haha

They have cameras now
So that wouldn’t fly
But back then
It was okay

We had a good thing going on
Never fought
Except when I’d tell her
She needed to get back onstage more often

Once she was Artistic Director
She thought it looked bad
To go around casting herself in shows

The only time she did it
Was my last show at the theater
And that’s only because
I wouldn’t do it
Unless she did it with me

It was Same Time, Next Year
And we had a blast doing it

I didn’t know it was going to be my last show
But halfway through the production
I got it into my head
That I belonged in L.A.
And when I told Beth to come with me
She just looked at me like I was the biggest moron
To ever step in front of her

And I guess I was

You don’t leave a woman like Beth
And you sure as hell don’t offer
To let her tag along with you
While you bump around
Looking for your purpose in life

Beth had her purpose
I should have stuck with her
And supported her
While all those religious harpies
Were coming down on her
For doing racy productions
But…

I was selfish, you know?

I was an actor

I was looking out for me
And only me

I convinced myself I wasn’t in love with her
That it was just sex
That I didn’t think that kid of hers
Was the funniest little person I ever met in my life

That I didn’t have it good
Because, you know us artists

If we have it good
It means we’re doing something wrong
And we need to fuck it all up
And try to make it better

Theater logic—it’s something, isn’t it?

After the last show, I took off
Beth didn’t even say good-bye to me

I don’t think she was being spiteful
I just think she was already onto the next thing
And there was always a next thing

The harpies were threatening to shut the theater down
If it kept going the way it was going

Beth wasn’t scared
She loved a good fight

But I should have stayed and fought with her
That would have been the right thing to do, you know?

I told myself I’d go back eventually
But it just, you know…

It just ended up being one more thing
I convinced myself wasn’t a lie

No comments:

Post a Comment