Friday, June 1, 2012

Tartuffe

They tried calling our sixth season our first
Because that was the year we went Equity
But nobody really paid attention to that

Equity or not
What difference did it make?

Oh sure, we were all excited

We were going to be a real company of actors now
Not just a glorified community theater bunch

I kept praising God
For allowing me to write home to my mother
And tell her that I wasn’t just a dressed up whore
Standing out on a stage
Instead of a corner

Mama sure could turn a phrase

The whole reason Beau agreed to the switch
Was because he was sick of having people compare us
To the Mullen Street Players
Where you could watch ‘No, No, Nanette’
And eat a nice ham dinner
All for ten bucks

Beau wanted people to know
We were doing real theater
And for once
Him and the Board agreed

So things were set into motion
And by the end of the sixth season
We were professionals

Our first show as a new Equity theater was Tartuffe

Beau said he’d worked in Equity theaters before
But I think he’d forgotten how many rules there were to follow

Before that, we were used to him being in total control
But now we were all serving a bigger master

There were rules

Personally, I found it refreshing

Beau was a godless man
And I mean that in the most literal sense

Not a bad man, not in a way he could help
Just lost, detached
Removed from any sort of spirituality
Even though he thought he was the next coming
Of all nine muses

I tried to instill a proper faith into Beau
But he wouldn’t have it

Every time I’d preach to him
About the purity of true art
He’d just roll me over
And go at me from behind
While I was looking up at the crucifix above my bed
Wondering if this would get me a bigger role next season

Back then I was the Jesus freak of the company
And I didn’t mind that at all
But it did limit the number of roles I could play

You find out pretty quickly
When you’re a girl of faith in the theater
That all the fun roles
Are prostitutes and home wreckers
And all I ever got to play
Was the maid

So I started making advances on Beau
So he’d feel more comfortable
Giving me roles with a little more…meat

It worked—for a little while anyway

Nobody ever stayed in Beau’s bed for long

I don’t think he ever got over
His wife

And I guess that’s as it should be

I got used to playing nuns
And nosy neighbors

Theater isn’t the best field
For people of a strong faith

But I never could give it up

I suppose it’s because I never felt closer to God
Than when I was standing out there
Onstage

No comments:

Post a Comment