Saturday, June 23, 2012

Death of a Salesman


You think I’m not a good actress?

You’re right

I’m fucking terrible

But I understand it
Theoretically
I understand acting
But, you know
Doing it
It’s tricky

Beth liked using me
When she was the theater’s AD
Because she found me interesting

I’ll give you that
I am interesting

I acted with the theater
With the Orpheus Group
For a long time

My last show was Death of a Salesman
Which is a good show to leave on
If you ask me

That was back when Beth was going up against
The Merry Widows

Those matinee blue-haired anti-whores

I had an aunt who used to call certain women anti-whores
If she thought they couldn’t even
Give it away

After my last show at the theater
I went up to Beth’s office
To say good-bye to her
And thank her for everything she’d done for me
Over the years

Beau, the old Artistic Director
And her ex-husband
Hadn’t liked me much
Because he believed women should only be onstage
If they’re standing next to a man

If you’re wondering if I’m a feminist
The answer is ‘Hell yes, I’m a feminist’

Being a woman and not being a feminist
Is like being a car without wheels

I guess you’re still a car
But what good are you?

When I went into Beth’s office
I saw something I’d never seen before

She was sitting at her desk
Crying

Those Merry Widows had gotten to the Board
And now the Board was saying
Things had to be toned down around the theater
And on top of everything else
The Board at that time
Was made up of all men
So you can imagine the hard time they were giving Beth

I knew she didn’t feel comfortable
Letting anybody see her cry

She didn’t want anyone to think she was weak

So I waited outside her office
Until she finished
And then I went in
And shook her hand

I said, ‘Beth, honey, don’t you take shit from anybody.  You’re a good director and a good person, and if you’re not making people angry you’re no kind of artist.  Remember that.’

She smiled when I said that
And told me she was gonna miss me

You know, I never had a daughter
Because the thought of something treating my body
Like a Best Western for nine months
Always creeped me out

But if I had had a daughter
I’d have wanted her
To be just like Beth

1 comment: