Friday, June 29, 2012

A Touch of the Poet


A Touch of the Poet opened the Orpheus Theater’s fourteenth season
The season we got our New York offer

I was in the opener
And two weeks later
The Homecoming opened downstairs

Our show was supposed to be the big hit
And Homecoming was just this little side project
But it…

Well, it exploded

The show got raves
The sold out the entire run
It extended
It sold out the extension

Craziness

And upstairs we were doing our show
And it was…

It might as well not have happened

The downstairs show had critics come
Then outside critics
Which is always unusual

People from out of town came to see it
And there was talk of it having further life

In Chicago
In Minneapolis

The words ‘New York’ were on everybody’s lips
But we were superstitious
We didn’t want to jinx it

I keep saying ‘We’
Because I was a part of the company
And so I should have been thrilled
But I—and many of us
Pretty much anybody
That wasn’t in The Homecoming
--Felt left out

Like, what about us?

What were we supposed to do?

Then it came
The New York offer
An Orpheus Theater production
Was going to off-Broadway
And who knew what would happen from there?

It was a nice acknowledgement
Of our Artistic Director’s hard work
Especially after the theater and Beth
Had come under fire
For being too risqué

Suddenly there was vindication

So we all should have been thrilled but…

The thing is, there’s only so much success to go around
In the artistic world

So when you see people close to you
Achieve a certain level of it
You feel…

Like there it goes

There goes my success

I left the ‘Congratulations You’re All Going to New York’ party early
And went to sit in the lobby

Beth found me out there
And sat next to me

She was a little drunk
But she was smiling
Which was nice

I hadn’t seen her smile in a long time

‘You know this is good for all of us, right?’ she asked me

And I said, ‘Sure, Beth.  I know’

She patted my knee
And said—

‘We’re all in this together’

And I believed her
I really did

But another part of me thought
I missed it

I missed my chance

Beth didn’t, but…

No matter how successful you are
You’re still human

You still only have two hands
So you can only hold so many people in them, you know?

And some people…

You just have to let go

No comments:

Post a Comment