Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Iceman Cometh

When Beth decided to stay in New York
To pursue better things
Than our little acting company
The Board went nuts
Trying to find a new Artistic Director
Before the start of the fifteenth season

A lot of people were upset about Beth leaving
But I was just fine with it

One less bitch in the kennel
In my opinion

But even I had to admit I was stunned
When the Board told us
Who they hired
To be the new AD

They were bringing Beau back

He’d been gone for four years
And I can’t say many people missed him

He had trouble getting along with everyone
Probably because he was a sociopath
Poor thing

I guess Beau had called when he found out Beth was leaving
And the Board needed somebody so bad
They couldn’t turn him down
So they let him come back
And warned him that if he acted up
They’d send him packing again

I always thought Beau would be too proud
To step foot in that theater again
But then again, he founded the place
So maybe he felt like he had some responsibility to it

It was the only thing he ever showed any kind of loyalty to

Anyway, I will say he came back a new man
And his first show was The Iceman Cometh
Which is no walk in the park

He said he had this new calm
From seeing this spiritual advisor
That was really big in the late 70’s

Suddenly everything was about energies
And feelings
Chakras and chanting

Like the time I spent on that commune
Without all the potatoes
And the hairless goats

Remind me to tell you about that
Some other time

Not everybody liked the new Beau
I know I didn’t

I missed the crazy, screaming, manipulative
Emotionally abusive asshole

His old work was solid
It had a, you know, punch to it
It hit you
Sometimes he did too

Kidding, kidding

Sortakindanotreally

At the cast party for Iceman
A bunch of us brought our families
Since Beau hadn’t seen any of them in awhile

He was all laughter and tears
Shaking hands, kissing babies

Hugged my husband
Like they were brothers
And then looked right at my son
And said—Well, isn’t he cute?

I felt like saying—

‘Yeah, but he’s a real pain in the ass
Just like his Daddy;

But I didn’t

You see, the thing about it is
When you leave somewhere
You leave things behind
Whether you like it or not

As far as I was concerned
Beau was dead
And this new hippy dippy dump truck in front of me
Was just a poor facsimile

Not a man
Not an artist
And certainly not the father of my child

So I just kept my mouth shut
And told him how glad I was
He was back

I think he believed me too
Just goes to show you
What a good actress I am

No comments:

Post a Comment