Friday, June 29, 2012

Awake and Sing!


My mother feared
Exactly two things:

That I would get married
And that I would become an actress

I did both before I was nineteen

Some good advice?

Don’t tell your kids what you’re afraid of
Because they’ll do it

Whether they mean to or not

I didn’t mean to get married
And I really didn’t mean to become an actress
But both just sort of happened

When the Orpheus Theater sent one of their shows to New York
There was a big gap in the acting company
So they had to hire some local people

I went and auditioned for their production of Awake and Sing!
And I got in, and so did this woman
That would end up becoming my wife

I knew a writer once
Who called what I just did
The Drop

Casually mention something shocking
Drop it
And pretend like it’s not a big deal

Maybe it isn’t a big deal anymore
But it was when I was alive
And it certainly was when I met the love of my life
Even though it was 1977

I was her understudy
Isn’t that funny?

It was my job to be there
In case anything happened to her
And that really never stopped being my job

She was what my mother would call a handful
Always running around
Always coming back to me
After she’d made a mess
Or led on some boy
Or ticked off one of the other actors

Halfway through the production
She got kicked out of the show
For doing…uh, well
For doing thing she shouldn’t have been doing backstage

They kicked her out of the theater
And she screamed and kicked
And they had to call security
And it was a big mess

And so I went on
But I was terrible
Because the whole time
I was worried about her
Out there on the streets
Angry and hurt

When the show was over
I went right to her apartment
And found her sitting outside her door
Crying, because she couldn’t find her keys

They were in the pocket
She didn’t usually put them in

That’s how out of it she was

After that, I stopped doing theater
But I kept making it possible for her to do it

I kept her straight, so to speak
And she…

Well, she kept me alive

Even though some people might say
It was the other way around

I felt like I was living when I was with her

I was just a girl from a poor house
With nothing holding it together
But a lot of love

And so I tried to give that to her
That love that feels like glue

And most of the time it worked
And some of the time it didn’t

But we still had a good run
A good long run

They even let her back onstage again
And she acted at the Orpheus
Until the late eighties

What I like to call
The Era of Consequences

Oh well…

That’s all history now

You know, if I’m being honest
I’d have to say it wasn’t all me that held her together

The theater had a hand in it too
Maybe even moreso than I did

Who can say?

Who can say anything right?

Who has time to think about all the things
That can’t be changed

No comments:

Post a Comment