Saturday, June 23, 2012

Twelfth Night


Beth used to hate doing Shakespeare
I mean, she hated it

It was always Beau’s thing
But it wasn’t hers

She understood business though
So she knew you had to do Shakespeare
To stay afloat
But she also knew
That you could really mess around with Shakespeare
And not have to worry
About whether or not it would sell…

Most of the time

Anyway, Beth and I were really close
And she always loved working with me
When she directed Shakespeare
Because we’d both come up with the most ridiculous ways
We could conceptualize it

I mean, we’d try to make it applicable to the story and everything
But when it came to the comedies
It was anything goes

People get so sensitive about that stuff
As if Shakespeare was the Messiah
But I always liked playing Chekhov better
Mostly because you get to sit on nice sofas
The entire time

But anyway, there we are
Working on the twelfth season opener
And the Board thought it would be cute to do Twelfth Night
And both Beth and I gagged
At the mere suggestion of it
Because by the time I was, oh, ten
I’d already seen about thirty productions of Twelfth Night
And so Beth had to beg me to do it

Then we’re goofing around one night during rehearsal
And I get all silly
And take my top off
During one of the scenes
Just as a joke, you know?

I always used to do that sort of thing
Back when I was alive

It always got a rise out of everybody

When I was young
I was always very aware of being young
Which is a gift
That awareness
That should be cultivated more in kids today

But don’t listen to the dead woman’s advice
Just listen to the story

I took off my top
And Beth loved it

I mean, she LOVED it
And said ‘We’re keeping it!’

So we did

We had a topless scene in Twelfth Night

It was really the first time Beth ever stepped somewhat out of the box
And she caught so much hell from it

There was this group of old subscribers
We used to call the ‘Merry Widows’
Who would keel over
If you so much as used the ‘f’ word
So you can imagine what they thought
About me romping around the stage
With my breasts on full display

They loved to complain
But they never gave up their subscriptions
They just bashed the play all over town
To teach us a lesson

They were always Beth’s biggest enemy
And I think it was because they didn’t like the idea
Of a woman being in charge of something

After Twelfth Night, they decided they wanted her out
And let me tell you something
If there’s one group you don’t want to make enemies of
It’s religious old white rich spinsters

Luckily, Beth didn’t scare too easy

I didn’t stay with the company much longer after that

I went to New York
To do edgier stuff
And ended up being a nude model
At an art school

I didn’t miss the Shakespeare
But I did miss Beth

She was one tough bitch

And coming from me
That’s one hell of a compliment

No comments:

Post a Comment