Monday, January 5, 2015

And I Can Make You Break My Heart

I can make you tell me secrets
And I can make you take things off

I can make you forget to call your friends back
And I can make you stay in on a nice night

I can pull the covers up over your head
And be the monster you forgot you were afraid of

I can empty you out
And fill you back up again

And I can make you break my heart

Broken glass can be as pretty as it wants to be
But it still hurts like a bitch to walk on

Summer days can put you down in the dumps
If you can’t go outside
Or open your window

There’s no one way for this to go
A train station says as many goodbyes
As it does hello’s

I can put you on a plane
And take you away
Or I can break your heart

I can keep you up late at night
Or put you right to sleep

I can love you
Or I can leave you
It’s really up to me

You’re not the one who’s going to figure me out
You’re not the one doing the trick

But I like the way you don’t try too hard
And I like how much I like you

I can see you in a crowded room
And keep your eyes on me

I can hug you like a stranger would do
And wait to kiss you ‘til nobody sees

I can say your name eight different ways
And make ‘em all sound right

I could take your number out of my phone
Or I could marry you and not think twice

I would never break you
Like some people would

Tempting though it is

To see somebody love you
Is to wonder how much
And how deep
And how strong
At what price
For how long?

When it’s over I’ll make it seem like your idea
I’ll tell you that it’s all for the best

We’ll still nod when we see each other
And no one knows about the rest

Some night I’ll come callin’
And you’ll let me in

We’ll get too close
For the last time again

And when it’s done
You’ll say ‘That was fun’
But you’ll be the one

You’ll be the one
Showing me out

From my car window
I’ll see your light go out
I’ll know my luck ran out
I’ll finally figure out

How hard I held on

When I said that it was nothing
It was peanut butter on my tongue
Nice to taste
But tough to swallow

‘Cause here we are
A heart and a broken heart
Two people playing a game

I played one move too many
And you played me out

Good for you
I’d applaud you too

So turn the light out
I’ll turn the car on
And on the drive home
I’ll fall apart

I can tell myself I had this planned from the start
I did a damn good job

Of making you
Break my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment