Monday, January 5, 2015

The Left Eye's Watching You

(A living room.  FRIDA, a middle-aged woman, is sitting in a chair sipping wine.  EMILY, a girl in her twenties, is sitting across from her, very nervous.)

EMILY:  You have a lovely home.

FRIDA:  Thank you, Emily.  I decorated it myself.

EMILY:  Oh, I assumed your husband did.

FRIDA:  Really?  Why would you assume that?

EMILY:  All the, uh, dead animals.  I thought maybe he was a hunter or something.

FRIDA:  Carlson?  Oh no.  (Laughs.)  The only thing he ever killed was a good time.  I'm the one fascinated with death.

EMILY:  Derek said you're a spiritual advisor?  I have to admit, I'm not really sure what that is.

FRIDA:  I teach people how to live as fully as possible while they're still alive, and then once they die, they leave me all their money and I make sure their wishes continue to be carried out after their deaths.

EMILY:  So, you read their wills and--

FRIDA:  Oh, wills aren't necessary, Emily.  I'm in constant communion with the dead.

EMILY:  I, uh--are you?

FRIDA:  Yes.  Always.  Voices in my head all the time.

EMILY:  Well that's--uh, that's something.

FRIDA:  It's so nice that Derek's finally letting me meet you.  I'm sorry he's running late from work.  He's always running late.  He gets that from his dead father--who, by the way, is a great admirer of your cleavage.

EMILY:  I'm sorry?

FRIDA:  My deceased husband loves your breasts.

EMILY:  No, I think I got that part, but--What?

FRIDA:  He wanted to be here when I met you.  After all, Derek has mentioned marrying you on more than one occasion.

EMILY:  (Can't help but be intrigued.)  He has?

FRIDA:  Yes, and so, of course, the whole family wanted to be here to size you up.  My mother says you're dressed like a whore.

EMILY:  Mrs. Nager!

FRIDA:  Actually dear, her last name was Morgan.  She kept her maiden name.  A very progressive woman.  A real feminist.  She says you look like you're going to a married man's funeral so you can sit at the back of the church.

EMILY:  What does that even mean?

FRIDA:  Hang on, Aunt Eva's here now.  Oh boy, she says she knows your grandfather.

EMILY:  He's been dead for eight years.

FRIDA:  She wants to know if he died from some untreated venereal disease.

EMILY:  I beg your pardon?

FRIDA:  Apparently, he has a voracious sexual appetite.  In the eight years he's been dead, he's already slept with Greta Garbo, Marie Curie, and all of the Andrews sisters.

EMILY:  My grandfather was a lovely and timid man!

FRIDA:  Well, it's always the quiet ones, dear.  Aunt Eva's concerned you may have some of his predilections, if you catch my drift.

EMILY:  I have to say, Mrs. Nager--

FRIDA:  Call me Frida, dear.

EMILY:  Uh, Frida--that I find this all a little--Well, I think it's bullshit.

FRIDA:  Oh, don't let my great-grandmother hear you say that.  She was never fond of cynics.  Whenever she was in the presence of a non-believer, her fake eye would begin to twitch.

EMILY:  Now that she's dead, I doubt she still has her fake eye.

FRIDA:  No, I have it.

EMILY:  You--excuse me?

FRIDA:  On the mantle over there.  It was her left eye.  The right one she was buried with, of course.  But, I loved her so much, I figured keeping a little souvenir wouldn't be all that bad.  And it does still twitch from time to time.  It's like my own little smoke alarm.

EMILY:  It's actually nothing like a smoke alarm.

FRIDA:  Dear me, I think I can see it twitch.

EMILY:  Do you not like me, Frida?

FRIDA:  Of course I like you!  I adore you!  You're adorable!  But my cousin Maxine--she says you have mud eyes.

EMILY:  I have blue eyes.

FRIDA:  And cousin Maxine had terrible vision.

EMILY:  Maybe you should loan her your great-grandmother's eye.

FRIDA:  A sense of humor!  How delightful!  I thought that was very funny, but nobody else did.  Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.

EMILY:  I lost a bunch of dead people.

FRIDA:  Family, dear, they're family.

EMILY:  But you approve of Derek dating me?

FRIDA:  I think it's fantastic.  I'm over the moon about it.

EMILY:  But none of your dead relatives are?

FRIDA:  My father seems to like you.

EMILY:  Okay.

FRIDA:  Wait--my mother's talking to him now.  (A beat.)  He changed his mind.  I'm sorry, Emily, it seems they all hate you now.

EMILY:  You're full of it.

FRIDA:  There goes that left eye again.

EMILY:  Frida--Mrs. Nager--this has been fun.  But I think I'll wait for Derek in the hall next to the stuffed squirrels.

(She stands.)

FRIDA:  Wait!

EMILY:  What?

FRIDA:  My grandfather likes you.

EMILY:  Huh?

FRIDA:  My grandfather.  Papa Joe.  He says you're feisty.  And he likes that my grandmother hates you.  That means you're in.

EMILY:  Just like that?  Just because of one person?

FRIDA:  My grandfather was the head of the family, Emily.  If he likes you, you're in.  It's as simple as that.

EMILY:  Oh.

(She sits.)

Well that's...good.

FRIDA:  I'm so relieved.  I'd hate to have to poison another one of Derek's girlfriends.

EMILY:  What?

FRIDA:  (Laughs.)  Just kidding, dear.  More tea?

(EMILY looks at her wearily.)

EMILY:  I'm good.

(Lights.)

No comments:

Post a Comment