Wednesday, January 28, 2015

What My Father Doesn't Remember

He doesn’t remember a little boy sitting by a window
He doesn’t remember Sunday’s my day
Dad, what day’s my day?
Sunday’s my day
Remember?

No, of course you don’t

He can remember his childhood perfectly
And how much worse his was than mine
But my childhood escapes him
Real conveniently

Promises broken are promises in the past
But when’s the last time you called me
To see how I am?

He wanted to jump from being a kid
To being a senior citizen
So I could go from not needing him
To needing to take care of him

He don’t remember locked doors
With yelling behind it
Girlfriends down the street
With kids who looked like me
Calling my mom a bitch
Like she ain’t half of me
Then crying in a car on a dark Sunday night
Saying ‘Kid, whatever you do, don’t turn out like me’

Man, I didn’t know you could have a father
You weren’t embarrassed of
I didn’t know some kids
Had a dad they could love

My father doesn’t remember Octobers through Decembers
When Halloween trick-or-treating
Or Thanksgiving eating
Or Christmas greetings
Were all left to other people
Because he had to work
Because he got called in
Because he didn’t know what to do with me

See, he put his name on me
And after that he wanted to be free
So I let him be
What else could I do?
Fuck, I was only three

He had jobs but no money
At least none I could see
And the only job he never took
Was trying to raise me

My father doesn’t remember summer vacations
At one of his many places
Oh, this one has a pool
Hey, this one’s really cool
It’s got a fireplace
And you’ll have a room at this one

If his bullshit was a song
The chorus goes—

‘You’ll have a room at this one, kid
You’ll have a room at this one’

But two weeks later
He’d be somewhere new
And I’d have nowhere to send letters to
Or a number to call
Or anywhere at all
To place him in my head

Until the car shows up one day
And he wants to know where I’ve been
Why I haven’t called
Didn’t he give me his new address
This must be my mess
‘It’s on you, kid,’ he says
‘This one’s on you’

‘Cause he wants to have the same bad memory
His Dad had
And he doesn’t see why it’s so bad
To relive the past
Until it looks the way you want it to

‘You do you, kid
And when you have a son
He’ll do him too’

My father don’t remember
Doesn’t
Don’t
Won’t
Can’t

My father wants to think
He’s one hell of a man

He doesn’t know that everything he can’t do
I can

All the things he can’t remember
I can’t forget

And I can’t let go of them
At least—not yet

Not until I have a son
Or daughter
Or ex-wife
To leave sitting in a window
Waiting on me

See, somebody’s in charge
Of bad memories

My Dad took all of his
And he laid them on me

And now he can’t sleep nights
And his hair’s falling out
And he cries for no reason
And don’t know what that’s about

And I say ‘Maybe you remember
More than you think’

But that’s all I say

That’s all
I have
To say

But what I remember?

That’s for a whole other day

No comments:

Post a Comment