Tuesday, January 27, 2015

We're All Doing Drugs Together


The kids are going to do drugs
I mean, that's just a given

It's the 1970's now

Drugs are--

Well, they're not what they used to be
Am I right?

Nothing is what it used to be

Hell, the wife and I went to a key party last night
Now--have you ever been to a key party?

We thought it was some sort of murder mystery dinner

Haha boy were we wrong

But you know, it really opened us up
Our minds, I mean, it opened up our minds

It made us realize
That whether your like it or not
The world is changing

And you change with it
Or you can be the old fuddy duddies
Sitting at home
Watching tv
And complaining about kids today

You can be your parents

God, I thought, that’s the last thing I want to be

My old man was the squarest guy I ever met
And my mom was Donna Reed
Without the warmth

You couldn’t get close to people like that
Hell, they weren’t even close to each other
Let alone me

I took off as soon as high school was over
And after that, I only called them at Christmas
To let them know I was still alive

I didn’t want my kids being like that with me
And I know what kids are up to these days
The same things I was up to when I was a kid

Drugs

So I made a decision

We’re all doing drugs together

And I tell my wife
And she’s into it
Provided it’s just run-of-the-mill stuff
Nothing too fancy

She and I dropped acid once
And the next thing we knew
We were shaving each other’s heads
In the middle of a petting zoo

But as long as it’s just smoking pot
Or snorting a little cocaine
She’s up for it

So we get our kids in the living room
And we tell them what we want to do
And they
Are
Horrified

I mean, they are really appalled

‘We don’t do drugs,’ they say,
‘And even if we did, we wouldn’t do them with our parents’

I look at my son
And for the first time, I realize something

He looks just like my dad

And my daughter
Looks just like Donna Reed

And it occurs to me
That maybe being square
Skips a generation

So we didn’t do drugs together
Me and the kids

The wife and I just did them
By ourselves

Those poor kids
They don’t know what they’re missing

No comments:

Post a Comment