Monday, January 5, 2015

Sweeping Down the Plane

Somebody’s gotta put her down
And there’s no use poutin’ over it

I knew what I was signing up for
When I ran for Mayor
And belly-achin’ about doing what needs being done’ll just make people wonder
If electin’ me was a bad idea

People like her, I know that
And they don’t like me
And I know that too

But sometimes there’s the people everybody likes
And the people who get the job done
And until the job stops getting done
The people who used to do it
Ain’t gettin’ many valentines

Just the way things work, I guess

When we got here, we said we weren’t taking any chances

Somebody gets sick
They get put down
Just like that

Otherwise that third arm starts growing out of their chests
And their ears fall off
And pretty soon they barely drive a carriage

No use pretendin’ it’ll be any different for Becky
Than it is for everybody else

She’s waiting for me on the platform now, Joe
I know she’s your girl and all
But she knows she’s sick
And she knows what has to come next

Hell, you’re lucky you’re not the one
Who has to pull the switch
And kick the door out from under her

Hangin’s the only right way to kill
Whatever that thing is
That’s livin’ inside her
Otherwise I’d just shoot her
Clean and quick
And that’d be that

No surprise to me that things gotta be hard
We knew that when we loaded up the first time
And took off from Philly

The way I see it, your girl Becky could have died in the blizzard last year
Or during the summer fires
Or any one of the outbreaks we had

Her number just happened to come up on this one

And you can sulk about it
But you and I know damn well
That one day somebody’s going to have to pull the switch on me
When I’m up on that platform
And that person’s going to be you

I’m not having no stranger
Or no new Mayor
Standing up there with me
When I go

That’s gotta be your job
And it could be sooner
Rather than later
So you gotta find a way to come to terms with it
And this here’s as good an opportunity as any

Now, I think you should go on out to that platform
And talk with Becky a little bit
Say what you gotta say
Nobody’s gonna be gawkin’ at you
I told ‘em to give the girl some peace
Before the hangin’ at three

A first love’s a beautiful thing
Partly because it’s the first
And how it ends don’t take away
From how it was

If you try to make it something more
Pretty soon the black stuff’ll be coming out of her nose
And her toes’ll all glue together
Making her feet out to be stumps
And she’ll try eatin’ every goat in sight

People change, son

Nothin’ you can do about that

Just gotta let it happen
And be ready to snap their necks
When the time comes

Then you go home
You pour yourself a drink
You sit on your porch
And you let the sunset
Put you to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment