Monday, June 24, 2019

A Dog You Don't Want to Catch

I got off the bus
And it was--

It was like the dream
The dream
Where I got off the bus
And the heat hit me
And I thought--

Fuck

Fuck, this is real now

A dream’s like a dog
You don’t want to catch

You find it
And it snap snap snaps
Its teeth at you

Off the bus
And I’m already sweating

That’s when I started working
At the diner

He comes in
Orders two eggs
My first day
Two eggs

What the fuck, right?

Did I tell you
Why I left the city?

I left because--

Jesus, I had the dream

I had the dream
And I got on the bus
And there I am
Serving this fucker
Two eggs

Like, shit

People will do the craziest shit
When they’re lonely
In the summer

Make all kinds
Of bad moves

I go to work
At this hot sweaty diner
Stained apron--

No, no, no
That’s a costume
That’s what you hear about

I kept my apron clean
I didn’t play the part
I wasn’t about that

If I was going to do it
I was going to do it clean
Nice and clean

He showed up
And started asking me
About myself
After I got him
His two eggs

Now I had never
Met a man like that

I had met some monsters

I had known some
Oh yes
City’s full of them
They’re everywhere in the city

But the ones--

The country ones
They’ve got something special
About them

When they choke you
They look you
In the eyes
The whole time

He never choked me
But I asked him to
A couple of times

Leave it to me
To take the strangle
Out of the strangler

Said I made him
A better person

What the fuck is that?

I wasn’t looking
For a better person

I didn’t get on a bus
To find a better person
Just a sweaty diner
To serve eggs at

What I got
Was some puppy dog
Who wanted to leave bodies
In ditches
Following me around
With all the spark out of him

So I got back on the bus

Still had my apron on
When I did it too

Wanted something to remember
My lonely summer by

Something I could put on
The next time I wanted

To go for a ride

No comments:

Post a Comment