Thursday, June 6, 2019

School Nights

Won’t it be nice
When we can do this
And it’s not
A school night?

I always think this time of year
Is so unfair

Weather’s already decided
It’s summer
And here I am getting dressed
Because there’s school tomorrow

Otherwise I’d stay the night
Like you want

You want that, don’t you?

Just a couple more days
And when I come over
I’ll take my time with you

Make you a nice dinner
Watch a movie
Just talk, you know
Talk and relax
With each other

And there won’t be
This rush rush rush
To get on with it, right?

I’m looking forward to that

You know, I sit at my desk
And watch the kids--

All they do these days
Is take tests
And I--

I show them movies
Let them just sort of--

Glide into summer break

They’re kids, you know
Kids can’t focus
When it’s this hot out

Their bodies already know
It’s summer
Even if the school calendar
Doesn’t

The seniors are already gone
Colleges are out
And here’s me
With a gradebook
Trying to figure out
How I’m going to kill ten more days
Before I can finally
Feel like myself again

I unravel, you know
I really do

I mean, I--

Over the course of--

From September
To June
The person I am
Just comes apart
And I spend all my time
Trying to keep it together
By, uh, by coming over here
And seeing you
And, just…

Just trying to forget
About what I have to do
Tomorrow

You’re good
At making me forget

That’s what I appreciate
About you

Well, that and some other things

I know it’s been hard
Seeing me run out of here
Every night
Like my tail’s on fire
But--

I promise
Pretty soon
You’re going to get
My undivided attention

I’ll go to bed
Not caring what night it is
And wake up
Not knowing what day it is
And it’ll all be one big blur
Until the Fall
Comes around again

Doesn’t that sound nice?

Only problem is
The Fall comes so fast

Seems like
It comes faster and faster
The older I get

Do you feel that way too?

Or maybe it’s just me

Maybe I’m all alone
In thinking about things
That way

Wouldn’t surprise

Being all alone

Wouldn’t surprise me

One bit

No comments:

Post a Comment