Friday, June 14, 2019

The Godfather Can't Make the Baptism

Hello?

It’s the godfather

The Don

Hello?

Hello

Listen

I can’t make it to the baptism

I had something come up
Last minute
You know how it is

I’d still love to be the godfather
But, you know,
I’m the godfather
So--

Well as it turns out
There was a, uh,
Rat in my--basement
And, uh, I don’t like rats
As you may have heard
So I have to deal with the, uh, rat
And it’s not something you, you know,
Put off to the last--yeah

Do you think you could do
A make-up baptism?

I can call the church
Father, he owes me
A few favors

Or you could come by later
After I’m done dealing with the, uh, rat

We fill up the tub
Priest comes by
Dunk the baby
Have some coffee
Good to go

Sure, sure

Another day is fine
I feel so bad about this
I can’t even tell you
My heart
It’s breaking

Next Sunday?

No, I got two other baptisms
Next Sunday
Otherwise you could come over
We could have coffee
Some pastry
A few bowls of bucatini

Three the week after that
And the week after that
I’m becoming godfather
To all the babies born
In upstate New York
In the past month

For some reason
Everybody wants the godfather
As their godfather

I’m very honored by that, of course
But I haven’t had a Sunday afternoon to myself
In quite some time

Any chance you could baptize the baby
On a Tuesday?

Nice Tuesday morning baptism
Like we used to do it
In the old country

Oh sure, we were always baptizing babies
On weekdays
Back in Italy

The godfather there--Don Manzano
He never worked weekends

You needed somebody beaten up
For looking at your wife the wrong way
On a Friday night
You had to wait until Monday
That’s just how it was

Well, if you can do it on a Tuesday
I would certainly--

Oh, you know what?

I’m going to court on Tuesday

Never mind
No Tuesday
How about Wednesday?

No, the case is getting thrown out
They’re not going to be able
To find any of the witnesses

That’s what I’m guessing
Is going to happen

There’s no way to be sure
But if I had to guess

So let’s say Wednesday
I’ll call the priest
You’ll come over after
We’ll have some coffee
It’ll be nice

I really appreciate you all
Being so flexible

And you know
When the godfather appreciates you
You’re in a good way

Oh, the rat will be gone today

I can take care of that
In an hour or two
That’s no sweat on my brow

I just wish sometimes
I had a day or two
To myself, you know?

Just to have someone else
Be the godfather for a day

If I could call in
That kind of a favor
Believe you me

I’d call it

No comments:

Post a Comment