Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What the Narrator Has to Say

I just don’t know
What you expect me
To do

Keep narrating?
You want me to just--

Oh god, this is--

You cannot call him
You can’t
You--

I won’t do it

I won’t say--

‘And then she called him’

I won’t

Because, you know what?

And I’d like to speak
About me right now
And how I’m feeling?

Is that--

Can I do that?

Can I just--

Because I am tired
Of being the passive force
That memorializes your life
As it happens
Regardless of how cyclical
And unhealthy
It becomes

Yes, I said it

You know, I could have gone omnipotent

That was a choice
That was a choice I could have made

A choice for me

But honestly?

I didn’t want to know
Where any of this
Was going

I was terrified
To be one of those--

But things wouldn’t work out that way

--Narrators

Because the truth is
You don’t really need to be omnipotent
To know how this
Is going to turn out

But having at least a little hope
That maybe it’ll be okay
Was enough to let me keep myself
In a lesser position

And I’m not saying
I did that for you
Or that you need to be
Responsible
For that
But the fact is
You were a part of that decision
And now you just want me to say--

And then she called him

And I’m not going to say that

I understand
What this relationship is
But it is toxic

It is not okay

And I can’t just sit back
And go along with--

She walks away from the Narrator

No

NO

Do not do that

That is--

She isn’t listening

This is--

Making me
Acknowledge you
Not acknowledging me
Is perhaps
The cruelest thing
You have ever done
And frankly
At this point
You can just do first-person
Because I am out

I am not going to be the third person
In my own life
Whatever that life
Or story may be

Good luck to you
And--

She was already gone

Well

Well, well, well

I guess that’s all there is

To say

No comments:

Post a Comment