Friday, June 21, 2019

Summer Lightning

The summer tent revival
Was down, down, down
Where Blue Road
Meets the village

I’d drag my sister up there
And we’d clap
And sing
And listen to words
About Jesus

My sister would put on
Her long grey dress
And when I tell you
She was the only one
Who could make grey
Look like red
I’m not lying

All the men at the revival
Would stare at her
And the preacher
Would see ‘em staring
And rebuke ‘em
For their devil eyes
And their endangered souls

But my sister would just laugh
And let out holy cries
Talking about Jerusalem
And King David
And places in the Bible
Nobody’d ever heard of
Because we weren’t Bible-readers
Unless we were under a tent
Trying to beat back the heat
With paper fans

My sister would talk in tongues
And the preacher would condemn her tongue
Because he wanted the sole privilege
Of being able
To commune with the divine

But she would spin around
In a dervish circle
And say she was talking
To Great-Grandma
And Great-Uncle so-and-so
And anybody else
Long gone
From this world

The folks from the village
Would throw coins at her
Asking her
To please bring forth
The baby they lost at birth
Or the husband
Who took a heart attack
At the breakfast table

Pretty soon it was hard to tell
Who they believed in more
Her or the preacher

He and my sister would go toe-to-toe
Calling forth spirits
And throwing mercy
Onto the onlookers

But whereas the preacher
Would threaten hell
Anytime someone got to close
To my sister

She would only
Talk of Heaven

People would say
They got thunder
From the preacher
And lightning
From my sister

I was too young
To know what that meant
But I knew one day
We’d all pay
For making a man of god
Look foolish

Two days before my eleventh birthday
And three days before the first revival
Of the summer
Our house caught fire
And we lost everything
But the clothes we had on

My sister believed somebody
Set that fire
But she didn’t say a word about it

After three days
Of sleeping in the field
Under the stars
My sister marched us
Right into that tent
And started talking

The preacher tried to cast her out
Told her that the fire
Was punishment from the lord
For all her false idolatry
And that if anybody so much as looked at her
They’d find themselves
Sleeping in dirt right next to her

But my sister talked
And while she talked she cried
And while she cried she prayed
And while she prayed she sang
And the villagers sang with her
All the songs of folks
Who weren’t afraid
To lose what little they had
Provided they could keep
What meant everything

Their family
Their faith
The feeling that came
From spinning around
And around
Until you saw god

The preacher was run out of town
And my sister and me
Moved in with a nice family
Who lived the gospel
Even if they couldn’t read it

The revivals ended after that summer
And now it’s just something
You remember
When you want to remember

Sometimes we still get lightning
With no thunder

And when that happens
It’s hard to remember

Anything else

No comments:

Post a Comment