Thursday, June 13, 2019

Grandpa Nick's Pizzeria

This is your old friend Grandpa Nick
From Grandpa Nick’s Pizzeria
Wishing you another happy summer


You know, I remember when I was a kid
We’d leave the house every day at dawn
To go deliver papers
For some extra pocket change


Of course, a few of us never came back
Because that was back when
Those sewer clowns were running rampant
But oh boy, if you didn’t get eaten
You sure sweat a lot

Riding up and down the street
Tossing those papers onto the lawns
Of all the racists and Nazi sympathizers
Who lived in your neighborhood


We didn’t know that about the neighbors
Because this was before the Information Age


A simpler time
When everyone around you
Could be a murderous psychopath
And you’d be none the wiser


Sure do miss those days


After you were done with your route
You and your friends would grab a bagged lunch
Made by your mother
Who was never allowed to speak
More than ten words a day
Or she’d get a talking to from your old man


The lunch would usually be made up
Of a few odds and ends
To hold you over until dinner


Things like meatball subs
Cold cuts
Some spaghetti
Dinner rolls
Half a prime rib
Eight hard-boiled eggs
A tuna melt
Grilled cheese
A pumpkin pie
Half a bottle of whiskey
And a thermos full of clam chowder


When you’d get to the beach

--Or the local watering hole
That was really just the drop spot
Where the aluminum plant
Would drop all its radioactive material--

There was none of this playing on your phone
Or clicking and swiping
The tweeting
The liking
The kissing
The smooching
The rigamarole


Just good clean fun
Harassing girls about their bodies
Or diving into what you thought
Was the deep end
Only to wind up in traction
For the rest of the summer


But hey, at least you weren’t like the kids
At the watering hole
Who grew an extra arm
And had to have it removed
Before school pictures in September


Boy, we had fun


I remember having to run home
Before it got dark
Or my old man
Would beat me until I was unconscious
While my mother looked on in horror
Because child abuse wasn’t just accepted in those days
It was sort of charming

Which is how we can look back on it
With so much fondness


I still smile every time I see the scar I got
Because I spilled some water
On my father’s collection
Of dirty magazines


He sure was addicted to those
Although we didn’t have the word addiction back then
Or the word sadist
Otherwise I would have had something
To call my Aunt Claudia


At night, our eyes weren’t glued
To any television


No, we sat there looking at my father
Pacing back and forth in the living room
Muttering about the Martians
And how they were going to want to take
At least one of us kids
When they finally landed
And which one of us
Should he sacrifice

This was before we had new-fangled things
Like 'therapy' or 'diagnosing mental illness'
So we just rolled up our sleeves
And shoved Pop into the 'Go to Sleep' closet
On the second floor
Where he'd scream until dawn

Boy, that was all the entertainment
We needed, huh?


Finally, after a long summer’s day
We’d crawl into bed
Emotionally exhausted
And emotionally not-quite-there
And wait for the darkness
To overtake us


Oh!  And for dinner
We’d have pizza

Wonderful pizza!

Best pizza you ever had


And you can enjoy that same pizza
At Grandpa Nick’s Pizzeria
Seven days a week

Just ask for Grandpa Nick
When you get there
Although I’m only there on Sunday’s now
Because the place smells like my dad’s cologne
And every time I get a whiff of it
I start shaking uncontrollably


Memories, right?

Good old memories

No comments:

Post a Comment