Monday, June 17, 2019

While Mom Waits in the Car

Mom can wait in the car
While we run around
The park

She’ll be fine
We’ll crack the windows
Leave a bottle of water

I want to run around
And shake my tail
And tell the frisbees
They shouldn’t relax

Back in the car
Mom can play on her phone
She can blast the air
To stay cool
And listen
To the radio

I want to dive in water
Water that’s messy
Water that’s clear

You can roll in the grass
And scratch
All your itchy places

I’ll run at you
And bounce off you
And bark at you
But only
In a friendly way

Mom can honk the horn
When it’s time
To come back
Because she needs
To pick up
Kid and Kid
From ballet and art class

But until we hear the horn
I want to find blankets
To run across
And stray food to eat
And squirrels to chase
And mice to chase
And tails to chase
That either do or do not
Belong to me

You can fall asleep
Under a tree
Or in the sun
And the way it hits your fur
Will be almost poetic

Mom can listen to people talking
And people singing
And more talking
And the weather that makes her sad
And the weather than makes her happy
And numbers about things
That make her yell

I’ll dive headfirst into piles of leaves
And cut grass
And dirt
And mud
And trash
And maybe I’ll eat some of the trash
And maybe you’ll eat some of the trash
And we can eat whatever we want
Because it’s summer now
And even though Kid and Kid
Don’t go to school
They go to ballet
And art class
And they meet other Kids
And they have fun
So why shouldn’t we have fun?

Mom sits by the pool
And lets us go in
But swimming makes me nervous
Because I have to keep wagging my tail
And even though it feels like
I could wag my tail forever
Sometimes
When you’re not here
Because you’re in another room
I’m not happy
And my tail doesn’t want to wag
And if that happened in the pool

If I got sad IN THE POOL

My tail would stop wagging
And I’d go down, down, down
To the bottom
And they’d have to name me Stanley
Because that’s what you call
A dog who lives
At the bottom
Of a pool

Honk honk honk
Goes the horn
And we run in circles
Around each other
Two or three or thirteen more times
Before we run back to the car
And hop in the backseat
Having had a very nice time

The park isn’t a dog park
But any park can be a dog park
If enough dogs
Go to visit it

So we’ll be two dogs
And then maybe more dogs will come
And more and more

And everyone will be running
And sleeping
And eating
And leaping
And barking
And all the mothers
Will wait in all the cars
Watching us have so much fun
And oh so happy
To see
Our tails

Wag

No comments:

Post a Comment