Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Only Gay Person in the Room

(An office.  ANNIE, JON, and RICH are
all sitting around a conference table.)

ANNIE:  --And that’s why I think it would be a great
fit for us, especially considering--

JON:  Annie, I really don’t want to, ugh, I’m so sorry
but as the only gay employee at this company, I just
really think we need to look at the optics here.

ANNIE:  Oh my god, Jon.  You’re right. I’m so sorry.
That must have sounded so insensitive.

JON:  I did, but I forgive you.  It’s just hard sometimes
being the only gay person who works here.

RICH:  Well, luckily that’s about to change.

(A beat.)

JON:  Huh?

RICH:  We hired--

(TAD enters.)

TAD:  Knock, knock.

RICH:  Tad! Come on in.  I was just telling
everyone that you’re gay.

ANNIE:  Oh my god, ANOTHER gay guy!
Jon, isn’t this amazing?

JON:  Uh...yeah.  What a...relief.

RICH:  Have a seat, Tad.  We were just
talking about an approach for the Patterson
campaign.

ANNIE:  I made the dumb suggestion that
we should bring the McFadden group on
as partners, but Jon pointed out how bad
the optics would be on that since the
McFadden group had that incident
a few years back.

JON:  Yeah, so now we’re moving on to--

TAD:  Well, hang on a minute, I don’t know
If--sorry, I know I’m new here, but I don’t
know if I agree with you there, Jon.

(A beat.)

JON:  Oh?

TAD:  They have totally new management
and people’s memories are short.  I don’t
think anyone will remember what happened
all the way back in--whenever that incident
happened.  I mean, I’m probably too young
to remember it anyway.  That’s probably why
it still means so much to Jon.

(A beat.)

ANNIE:  That was shade, right?  Jon was
teaching me about shade, but I always
forget how it works.  Like, are you supposed
to want to kill the person afterwards?

JON:  Chad--

TAD:  Tad.

JON:  Tad, can I speak to you privately, please?

RICH:  Oh, they want to talk about gay stuff.

TAD:  I don’t think that’s what Jon means.

JON:  No, that is what I mean.

TAD:  We can talk here, Jon.  If I upset you--

JON:  You did upset me, and that’s why we
can’t talk here.  I don’t want the straight people
to see us fighting.

TAD:  Why not?

JON:  Because I don’t want them thinking that
we fight.

RICH:  Well now we kind of...know you fight.

ANNIE:  I’m still not sure if they fight or not.
I’d have to see it to be sure.

TAD:  Jon, it’s just a disagreement over a
partnership.

JON:  But I had already decided as the lone
gay person what we were going to do.

TAD:  But you don’t get to decided on behalf
of all gay people.

JON:  Well I used to be able to.  Why do you
think I’ve worked here with these idiots for so
long?

ANNIE:  Rich, don’t take that personally.

RICH:  I’m confused, Jon.  You always complain
that we don’t have any other gay people working
Here.

JON:  I have to say that.  I can’t say I love being
able to say whatever I want about gay stuff without
anyone challenging me.

ANNIE:  But, okay, just so we’re clear--that is how
you feel?

JON:  Yes!

TAD:  Jon, I think it’s great that we’re going to have
two gay voices in the room from now on.

JON:  That’s like saying ‘Wouldn’t it be great to have
more than one violin in the symphony?’

TAD:  There usually are more than one violin in a
symphony.

JON:  And that’s why nobody likes the symphony!

RICH:  I, for one, am very excited to start having
more diverse conversations here in the office.

JON:  You sound like an idiot, Rich.

ANNIE:  I just want more gay friends.

TAD:  That’d kind of offensive.

JON:  No, it’s not!

TAD:  What do you mean it’s not?

RICH:  It clearly is, Jon.

ANNIE:  I’m very sorry.

JON:  Don’t be sorry, Annie, I think what you said
wasn’t offensive.

TAD:  But I do.

JON:  But you’re not the only gay person in the
room, Tad.

TAD:  But it was objectively offensive.

JON:  Oh, so we’re talking objectives now, are
we?

TAD:  No, we’re talking about something being
objective.

JON:  Well maybe I don’t think you’re objective.

TAD:  Do you know what objective means?

JON:  I would really like to do this without straight
people here, Tad.

TAD:  Why? So you can explain something to me
about being a gay person that I didn’t already know
and get me to change my mind?

JON, RICH, and ANNIE:  Yes!

TAD:  You don’t get to pull a gay card here, Jon.

JON:  But that’s my only card!

TAD:  You could just try changing my mind
on the merits.

JON:  I don’t have the energy for that.

RICH:  Jon, I think you’ll really love this
Arrangement once you get used to it.

JON:  Or I could do 23 and Me and find
out I’m Lithuanian.

RICH:  Why would you do that?

JON:  Because then I can be the only
Lithuanian in the room.

TAD:  Do we deal with a lot of Lithuanian
Issues here?

JON:  We will once I find out I can be the
only person who’s allowed to have an
opinion on Lithuanian stuff!

TAD:  Just try being right about stuff!

JON:  But I never had to be right about
anything before!

RICH:  Folks, as important as this conversation
is, we have to move onto other--

JON:  Yeah, whatever, let’s just talk about
whatever. It’s not like I care anymore anyway.

RICH:  Okay, next up, the Altama campaign.

ANNIE:  Oh, I had some thoughts on that as
a woman--

JON, RICH, and TAD:  Shut up, Annie.

ANNIE:  Right. Sorry.  Very sorry.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment