Monday, June 17, 2019

Sarah: Plain, Tall, and Just Plain Over It

I’ll tell you what I’m not going to do
I’m not going to be getting off this train
To go marry a man
I’ve yet to meet in person


I probably should have mentioned that
Before I got on the train
But honestly
I wanted to see what it would feel like


Riding a train
Going cross country
Flirting with matrimony


And now that I’ve done all that
I don’t see the point
In actually going through with it


From what I gather
This man
Has children
And a home
That is not a mansion
And chores for me to do
And not one part of that
Sounds appealing to me


It’s not that I mind
A good hard day’s work
But only to my own benefit
Not for the sake of a man
Who’ll simply sit at the dinner table every night
Expecting a warm meal
And freshly-sewn clothes
For his children
While he stares off into space
Wondering whether he’ll die of an infected prairie bite
Or a bad batch of corn pudding


No thank you
Very much
I’ll pass


I may be plain and tall
But at least I’m not short
And stupid


Pretty women might fall
For this sort of thing


A man eager to marry
And property
To his name


But I see a future
Where women will be able
To own their own property


I suppose it’s probably
Only a year or two away
And then what a fool I’d have been
Shacking up with some man
Who will add me to his list
Of assets


Then when he dies
I’ll be expected to mourn forever
And sit in a rocking chair
Yammering on to myself
Like a lunatic
While the tumbleweeds roll by


I don’t suppose
There will be any books
Or paintings
Or intellectual stimulation
Of any kind


If I’m lucky
He’ll be able to belch
Billy Barlow
Every night
As the fire dies down


As a woman in this day and age,
I don’t expect my existence
To be some glittering
Musical
Fantasy


But I’ll be damned
If I don’t give myself
A sporting chance
At something better


So I’m getting off at the next stop
And if anyone asks who I am
I’ll tell them
I’m one of those women
With a crystal ball
Who can see into the future


They’ll either burn me at the stake
Or make me their god
But either way
It’ll be better
Than babysitting rutabagas
For the rest of my life


The man will find another wife
Maybe a glamorous one this time


Someone who can teach his daughter
How to apply make-up
And his son
How to treat a lady on a date


He’ll be happy
And the children will be happy
And I’ll be very happy
Set up in a storefront somewhere
Telling pioneers
All about how they’re going to die
Just by looking at the cards
In front of me


And all the while
I’ll be hearing train whistles
Off in the distance


And I’ll smile
Knowing none of them
Are meant

For me

No comments:

Post a Comment