Saturday, June 22, 2019

Nothing Against the Sheriff

Nothing against the sheriff
But the detectives
Went looking for my son
And they found him
In two hours

I’m not saying
The sheriff’s getting old
But I’m saying time
Time is getting old
Our time and--

I don’t belong raising a kid
At my age
I’ll tell you that

Wouldn’t have even had him
If my wife hadn’t insisted

Then she goes and gets sick
And here I am
Trying to keep track
Of a boy
And the farm
And the sounds
I hear at night

My other kids
Want me to move in with them
But they’ll put that little boy to work
Soon as they can
And he’s not fit for it

He’s got a delicate temperament
Like his mother

That’s not his fault
That’s just how he is

My older sons
Say I go easy on him
Easier on him
Than I did on them
And they’re not wrong

But I’m a different sort of man
Than the one I was
When I was raising them
And he’s a different sort of son
Than they were
And truthfully
I want to just tell them
To mind their own business
But they scare me sometimes
With how much they remind me of me
Back when I was all piss and dynamite

I’m willing to accept
That I’m getting older
And I think the sheriff should too

Told him about the sounds I’m hearing
And he tells me
It’s just the wind across the fields

Like I don’t know
What wind across my fields
Sounds like
After all these years

Does he think I’m sitting in my bed
Listening to god-knows-what
And misunderstanding it
As just a gust of air?

My son couldn’t sleep through the night
Until he was six-years-old
And I know it’s because
There’s something out in those fields

Something that won’t be satisfied
With taking my wife from me

Now they want the boy
That’s why he went missing

It learned how to speak
Whatever it is
It knows how to say a name
And sing a song
And one day
It’ll be telling stories
And once that happens
I may as well bury my son in the ground
Because he loves a good story too much
And I’m no good at telling them anymore

Nothing against the sheriff
But he hears all this
And wants to call
One of my other boys
And I say, ‘No, thank you, Sheriff’
Then I ask him
To go find my son

And this time he couldn’t
So I had to call
The detectives

Told ‘em the sheriff was useless
Now, I apologize for the strong language, but--

I told them
That if I had to count on the sheriff
I was as good as swallowed up
By whatever’s out there
Trying to get in
Trying to get inside me
Inside my head

And the detectives--

Well

They’re not much better

Because I keep telling them
How lousy the sheriff is
And they keep telling me
I am the sheriff

And that’s not right

Not right to lie like that
To a man

Not one bit

Right

No comments:

Post a Comment