Monday, June 10, 2019

Bad Kids and Mailboxes

I go looking for the kid
To make a point
Because he kicked over
My mailbox

And I find him jumped
Jumped
Behind the CVS

And now I gotta take care of him
Because he’s so upset
He can’t even breathe
Let alone give me the name
Of his mother
Or how I can--

I can’t even think about the mailbox
And I liked that mailbox
But this kid’s got a busted lip
And blood from either
A cut or something
On his right leg

And he may have been a punk
When I was driving around
Looking for him
So I could figure out a way
To make him pay
For busting up my mailbox
But now he’s just crying
And acting scared
And now I guess I have to go looking
For the other punks
That jumped him
So I can try and teach them
Some kind of lesson
And I really just want to know
When this is all going to be over
Because I do not have time
To be driving all over town
Trying to find bad kids
So I can show them how to act right
Because the last time I checked
There are parents
For that kind of thing

And while I do believe
In the whole ‘it takes a village’ mentality
I also believe
That you should have a clear understanding
Of what kind of kid it is you raised
So that if you think it’s possible
Your kid might go around after school
Trashing innocent mailboxes
Or jumping kids who trash mailboxes
Then you need to insist
That your kid
Gets on the bus
And goes home
And destroys your own property
Or jumps--

I don’t know
Who they’re going to jump at home
But the point is--

This really needs to be
A you kind of thing to deal with

The village can only do so much

I have a kid at home too
And that kid is home
Because if I let him
Wander the streets
He’d be doing way worse
Than kicking mailboxes

I know that
I know that
I’m his mother
I know these things

So I keep him home
Because I don’t want to force
The village
To deal with him

I just don’t understand
How anybody
Is supposed to get anything done
When as soon as you find a bad kid
They turn into a baby
Who got hurt
By another bad kid

And the more you find
The quick they turn back
Into little kids
Who are just the victims
Of some stupid adult
That let them have too much independence
Before they were ready for it

That’s what’s going on here

When this is all over
I’m going to have a busted mailbox
A son who’s flunking sixth grade
And a kid in my backseat
Crying and sniveling
With me trying to call his mother
Who, by the way, if I had to guess,
Probably makes more money than I do
Because that’s usually
How these things work out

It’s one of those days
Where, at the end of it,
As long as nobody’s dead
You’re going to have to label it a success

Not because you want to
But because if you want to go through
The rest of your life
Not wanting to kill everybody you meet
Then you have to find a bright side
And most of the time
The bright side is
Well at least nobody died

That’s it

Sometimes
That’s the best

You can do

No comments:

Post a Comment